PC CK

Everything about the various Boulder Dash tools, and other stuff created by the fans.

Moderator: Admin

WauloK

PC CK

Post by WauloK »

Is there an application for the PC to design levels or do you design them in a C=64 (or whatever) emulator and can only pass those around?
I'd like to be able to design stuff on the PC with the original basic cave data not BDCFF format. Can they be tested too? :)

Cheers!
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

If you want to make a C64 Boulder Dash, you have to use the editor for the engine you intend to use in a C64 emulator.
Those for BD1 are very basic and no one seems to use it.
The one for BD2, no one here seemed to get it running at all.
For PLCK there is the PLCK obviously, which has its flaws, but good tools for making a game out of it like the Deluxepacker 1.55.
And for CrLi there are the Crazy Light Construction Kit, which is the most recent and advanced toolset, though it hasn't all the features of the other engines, most notably the level feature and the Voodoo Doll behaves differently to PLCK.
The 1stB engine is pretty much obsolete, but there is the Marek's Deluxe Kit for it, but be aware that it can cause problems with some drives.
WauloK

Post by WauloK »

Actually I was hoping there'd be a PC based Construction Kit so I could create levels to export to other PC based BD games. (and possibly use in my own BD if I ever port it to the 8bit machine).
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

WauloK wrote:Actually I was hoping there'd be a PC based Construction Kit so I could create levels to export to other PC based BD games.
Which is actually a good reason to do use a BDCFF editor
(and possibly use in my own BD if I ever port it to the 8bit machine).
Gdash became quite good at it since my last post here. It's definately worth to check it out. You'll get both, BDCFF files and native CrLi caves for the C64, given you're restricting yourself to the feature set of that engine.