Detailed walkthroguh for BD1&2 in words

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

Dustin

Detailed walkthroguh for BD1&2 in words

Post by Dustin »

Hi,
several times, I've searched through the internet for a detailed walkthrough for the Peter Liepa BD games (as exist for most computer games), without success. If there really is none yet, I'd like to make one myself, perhaps for a release on this site. Is this a good idea od is there actually a walkthrough somewhere and I just don't find it????
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

There's some kind of a walkthrough for BD1/2 on my page, with screenshots of each cave/intermission. Not all solutions are fully described, though. But the most important tricks are revealed there.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Yes, yes, I know, of course! What I mean is an even more detailed one, which explains every single cave, e.g. not only how to solve cave O (BD1) in general, but also special difficulties of O/4 or O/5 which do not occur in the other levels, or in which levels the player must hurry and in which he has enogh time to think, etc. etc. , comparable with the very detailed explanataions of, for example, Super Mario games that can be found on several game FAQ sites. Of course, one can also watch your and RTA Dash's video solutions, but just as alternative.
Moon

Post by Moon »

Given the fact that Arno has already made very efficient longplays of it I don't see a reason to make a text walkthrough. A picture's worth a 1000 words.
www.c64-longplays.de: Complete C64 game walkthroughs as videofiles
Doctor Creep Real Estate: Maps, walkthroughs and longplays
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Moon wrote:Given the fact that Arno has already made very efficient longplays of it I don't see a reason to make a text walkthrough. A picture's worth a 1000 words.
But it's hard to exactly follow someone else's playing of the game. How does one match their internal timing, every precise movement, and the randomnity of the amoeba? No offence to Arno, but he got a few breaks in those longplays. That's what is better about text walkthroughs - they're good, solid descriptions that can be guaranteed to work, and are also in a slightly more universal format. :wink:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Moon

Post by Moon »

Are we talking about different longplays? The once Arno submitted to our page were vigorously checked for having no breaks that would interrupt the flow of the game cause this is boring for the people watching it. I can't remember having seen any.
www.c64-longplays.de: Complete C64 game walkthroughs as videofiles
Doctor Creep Real Estate: Maps, walkthroughs and longplays
John

Post by John »

It's too bad BD doesn't really have a speedrun community. I would have loved to see people compete over solutions and outdo each other by finding alternative routes.

Or do we have any current record holders? :D
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

John wrote:It's too bad BD doesn't really have a speedrun community.
What prevents you from starting one?
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Moon wrote:...vigorously checked for having no breaks that would interrupt the flow of the game...
I meant breaks in the sense of 'lucky breaks'; you know like surviving after touching a firefly such as in BD2 int3... things that would be semi-difficult for someone else to reproduce with exactly the same timing.
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Well, I've started writing and I'm having fun! I also intend to explain things that are hard to explain by a longplay, e.g. under which conditions a touch with a fly can be survived, or the movement behaviours of fire- and butterflies etc. etc.
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
John

Post by John »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
John wrote:It's too bad BD doesn't really have a speedrun community.
What prevents you from starting one?
Lack of time, skill and a TAC-2. ;)