Do we really need Hidden Exits? Alternative ideas for XDC.

Everything about the various Boulder Dash tools, and other stuff created by the fans.

Moderator: Admin

What do you like to see in my Cross Development C64 engine?

Keep those hidden exits
No votes
Explodable Steelwall and Glued Dirt
14%
An independend second Amoeba with its own parameterset
43%
Another idea (described in a post)
43%

Total votes: 7

LogicDeLuxe

Do we really need Hidden Exits? Alternative ideas for XDC.

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

If you have other ideas, keep in mind that it may only use graphics still in the game, and it may only take two element slots (just like the hidden exit does).
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

If possible, I'd like an enemy that always moves forwards, and turns right if it bumps into something. It could be like a special firefly or something. I think you could make good arcade and puzzle sections with that.
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I picked the explodable steelwall and glued dirt, just because of the explodable steelwall's presence ever since the first engine. I think it has good shock value that can really challenge/puzzle people for a little while.

What's funny is that 2 people chose "Another idea (described in a post)" and only one (Sendy) has described it in a post. :wink:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Since compatibility is one aspect, I think I will implement those as an auxiliary element. That means, you can choose between hidden exits and explodable steelwall/glued dirt and maybe other options I'm not certain about yet. It will be just a matter what is used in the BDCFF source file.
In regards to compatibility, this makes sense since there is no engine supporting both. Further options, of course, make sense for trying new ideas.

The enemy behavior Sendy described exists in Flaschbier. A very minimalistic Boulder Dash clone, thus very possible. I never found it very useful, though. A similar enemy would be the Yamyam, but I certainly won't turn Boulder Dash into another Emerald Mine.

The main idea behind the XDC engine is making features available which would be too complex to keep C64 editor both, fast and comfortable to use. Those are mainly the level feature and maze generation (done as object based caves, unlike the Crazy Dream 9 hack). A secondary goal is better downward compatibility. Any BD1, BD2, PLCK and CrLi cave should be reproducible.
Last edited by LogicDeLuxe on Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

In other topics I read about amoeba that doesn't grow. Is this possible in your XDC engine? (Either by choosing special parameters, or as a separate element?)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Arno wrote:In other topics I read about amoeba that doesn't grow. Is this possible in your XDC engine? (Either by choosing special parameters, or as a separate element?)
Since it is already possible in CrLi, it sure will be in XDC as well. Set the maximum amoeba size to 1 and the too big effect to amoeba.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I vote for that second independant amoeba, though I don't need any of the mentioned ideas for my own games. I find the hidden exit a bit unfair in some cases, esp. if it's part of the border and you have to try out every cell in order to find it...
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Perhaps a special effect when both amoebas meet would be funny, too, e.g. an explosion (which has already been suggested somewhere) or that both amoebas combine to one (then the question would be the parameters of which amoeba the new amoeba will get).
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Since, I'll write XDC from scratch and implementing the delay states differently, I think, XDC will have hidden exits, glued dirt, explodable steelwall and a second amoeba. An optional explosion effect when amoebas touch should be no problem either.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Oh, something else that comes into my mind: At least for my games, it would be VERY helpful if the engine supported horizontally, vertically and 4- growing walls independant of each other! There're four caves already in RockFort 1 and 2 where a horizontally and a vertically growing wall (RF1- M, RF2- G), resp. a 4- growing wall (1- S, 2-D) is needed!
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Dustin wrote:Oh, something else that comes into my mind: At least for my games, it would be VERY helpful if the engine supported horizontally, vertically and 4- growing walls independant of each other!
It's on my list already. They will work just like in GDash. There are even Growing Steelwalls (explodable) on the list, so no Diego effect needed and they can coexist as well.
I updated the tables in the thread of my drafts: http://www.boulder-dash.nl/forum/viewto ... =1365#1365
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Oh excellent! :-)
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

Would it be possible to prevent the new amoeba from growing through dirt? That seems like it might be really cool since you could direct it where you want it.
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Sendy wrote:Would it be possible to prevent the new amoeba from growing through dirt? That seems like it might be really cool since you could direct it where you want it.
You can use eatable walls in GDash as you can in The new Dash Dimension. That is planned for XDC as well.
I might consider another parameter for amoeba 2 to allow this, though.

I'm currently working on the scroll routine and the drawing instructions. Physics are in order after that, which includes all those parameters.

I think, the first alpha version will include some worst case caves to see how fast I can get it. Cave like those: