RockFort for VICE

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Dustin

RockFort for VICE

Post by Dustin »

Hi!
I've decided to make a version of my RockFort games also for VICE to make them available for a bigger audience. I think I'll use Gdash to create the game, and make it so that the "real" adventure, level 3, is exactly identical to the bremake version. Then it should be easy to convert that level into the CLCK (is it?) , making a one-level version, too. I'm looking forward to try to find good colors fitting into the story. What do you think about this?
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I would absolutely like to see how this would turn out, especially in terms of the colors! :D
I just hope it's do-able with the tools currently available. (I don't know if the aforementioned conversion would be possible)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Gdash has a CLCK export feature. It was not perfect, the last time I checked, though. It couldn't save vertical growing walls, and it saved the cave files bigger than necessary.
If you encounter problems with this, I suggest saving all caves as individual files, fix them in CLCK and make a cavepack with the Crazy Light Tools.

And of course, you have to redesign your caves to only use CLCK features. For instance, the cave with vertical and horizontal growing wall in the same cave won't be possible that way.

And use PAL-Timing. CLCK is designed to have the same timing even on NTSC machines.
cirix

clck export

Post by cirix »

hi

the two problems LogicDeLuxe mentions about gdash are already corrected.

i suggest you to try converting the caves and test them in the original engine in vice. gdash tries to warn about some of the possible errors; if some are missing, or conversion is not correct, just tell me, and i'll try to fix it in the next version!

bye
cirix
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I dropped the idea with the gdah version, since it is simply too complicated to reproduce the caves. The main problem is that I mostly have changed the element densities between the levels, which cannot be done in Gdash.
But the VICE version made with the CLCK is in work. As you can make over 40 caves in a CLCK game, I'll make two levels, which will be levels 3 and 5 of the bremake original.
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Dustin wrote:The main problem is that I mostly have changed the element densities between the levels, which cannot be done in Gdash.
Why not? You can select any combination of levels where any object should appear. This will be supported by XDC as well.
cirix

more stones

Post by cirix »

hi

that's what i wanted to explain.

gdash does not support "natively" selecting different number of random elements for levels (maybe it should?), but you can always place areas with random fill.

1) create a cave. fill it with some random stones.
2) create a random fill object with random stones. select that it is visible on levels 2, 3, 4, 5 only.
3) random fill object with stones, visible on levels 3, 4, 5...

or maybe easier:
1) create an empty cave.
2) create a random fill object with stones of probability 32, visible on level 1.
3) create a random fill object with stones of probability 48, visible on level 2.
4) create a random fill object with stones of probability 64, visible on level 3.

Paste in your favourite text editor and save as a .bd file:

Code: Select all

[BDCFF]
Version=0.5

[game]
[highscore]
[/highscore]

Name=Stones
Levels=5

[cave]
[highscore]
[/highscore]

Name=More and More Stones
Selectable=true
IntermissionProperties.rewardlife=true
Size=40 22 0 0 39 21
Colors=Black Black Blue Gray1 Yellow Yellow Blue
[objects]
[Level=1]
RandomFill=1 1 38 20 0 0 0 0 0 DIRT BOULDER 32
[/Level]
[Level=2]
RandomFill=1 1 38 20 0 0 0 0 0 DIRT BOULDER 48
[/Level]
[Level=3]
RandomFill=1 1 38 20 0 0 0 0 0 DIRT BOULDER 64
[/Level]
[Level=4]
RandomFill=1 1 38 20 0 0 0 0 0 DIRT BOULDER 80
[/Level]
[Level=5]
RandomFill=38 20 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 DIRT BOULDER 96
[/Level]
[/objects]
[/cave]

[/game]

[/BDCFF]

bye
cirix
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Aaaaaah, thanks a lot! Super, , then I'll do it in Gdash, too, of course!
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

The VICE version of RockFort1 made by Gdash is as good as finished now! I'll play through all the caves once again, possibly make some last changes and then I hope you will have a lot of fun with it!
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Hi, I've just discovered that Gdash can now read .brc files directly! Yet I will continue my work on RockFort 2.bd since I have several new ideas for some caves.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Talking about a VICE version, in case you missed it, XDC can play most of it already.
There are only two minor problems left, which could be avoided easily by a minimal redesign:
- Cave A does not scroll before hatching. Not sure if this will be fixed in the engine, since inbox is usually either set by a point object or withing a PLCK map. Changing that behavior would slow down the entering cave process unnecessarily.
- In intermissions, there is not enough time for letting the engine finish scrolling before hatching. This will be fixed in a later version. In the meantime, this can be avoided by pressing space for pause mode right before hatching in order to let the scrolling finish.

And one feature is still missing:
- Intermission S uses the "count diamonds at hatching"-feature. This will be added in a later version, too.

Different colors for amoeba and walls is only possible when played on a C64dtv. Otherwise, amoeba color is also used for walls whenever there is an amoeba present in the cave.

Anything else is supposed to work, so feedback about other issues is appreciated.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Oh! I have to admit that I used so much of my free time with my RockFort Gdash version that I actually missed your XDC release and progress! Thanks for the infos! The cave A problem should be very easy to fix by setting the inbox as a point object. I feel quite honoured that you have checked my game in such a detailed way already!