New object suggestions for Gdash

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Sendy

Post by Sendy »

Another object suggestion, this time from the Amiga game, Mazes of XOR!

Horizontal and Vertical Directional Dirt. This is dirt which has either horizontal or vertical dark (or black) stripes running through it. Any object can 'eat' this dirt provided it's moving onto it in the same direction as the stripes. To objects moving 'against the grain', or rather, perpendicular to it's stripes, finds it like a solid brick wall (only unlike a wall, it is dirt and as such things don't roll from on top of it). Explosions destroy this object regardless of direction.

Obviously Rockford can eat it, but whether other objects such as Boulders and enemies can is open for debate, since there were no enemies as such in Mazes of XOR.

My suggestion is that heavy elements such as rocks, superboulders, nitros, maybe even diamonds, can clear through it, and everything else can not, such as enemies can't eat dirt in the original.

Quite a long explanation for what is a simple enough idea, perhaps if only Rockford can destroy it, it would make the implementation easier, whilst still providing puzzle potential.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this idea out to see what you guys make of it.
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
cirix

Post by cirix »

Arno wrote:Edit:A gate, as suggested by Sendy, would be a nice solution also. It could look like an open exit (no flash, only the "frame"), and become a titanium wall after more than the required amount is collected.
Currently I'm considering this solution. How do you think it should work? A gate, which looks like a frame. Maybe it should work like the pipes did in supaplex?

Code: Select all

(player)(gate)(space)
and if you press the right key to move right:

Code: Select all

(space)(gate)(player)
This may be the right solution to implement this, I think. And if you collect too many diamonds, it is converted to a steel wall.
cirix
cirix

Post by cirix »

Sendy wrote:Horizontal and Vertical Directional Dirt
Well, this seems to be very "out" of the framework the engine currently provides. But I will think about it.
cirix
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

I'm not even sure I liked the suggestion really, I'm just throwing up any ideas I have that may fit BD and provide puzzle value.
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

Well not literally throwing up but you know :lol:
CWS

Post by CWS »

One element I always liked in Emerald Mine was the nut. It looks like a nut at least. It's brown and nut shaped. If a stone is falling on it it reveals a diamond. I do not fully remember if a nut also transforms into a diamond when another nut (or something else then a stone) is falling at it but I do not think so.

I think the nut is a nice element for surprising caves! :)
CWS

Post by CWS »

I've found a screenshot how the thing with the nut looks like!

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/eme ... tId,39501/
CWS

Post by CWS »

After quite a while I continued playing Boulder Dash Rocks on my Nintendo DS. It's not the Boulder Dash we know but it's also a fun game (unfortunately without an editor - so the fun will be of a temporary nature).

I'm only in the first world now but I noticed a nice little element which would be fun for GDash. The Zapper! Rockford always have a zapper (sort of gun) with him. When he finds ammo for it he can pull boulder and other itms towards him or push them away.

I think this could be easy implemented into GDash and it would be a really fun element. But in GDash Rockford should not have a zapper always with him - a zapper should be collected like a sweet that enhances his abilities. Then he only has to find ammo for it...