Wormlike player and/or enemies

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Guy

Wormlike player and/or enemies

Post by Guy »

Hi.

Does anyone know BD clone, where player and/or enemies are wormlike instead of filling just one square. If there's no that kind of clone, one could implement it.

What kind of rules do you think would be the best for this kind of clone.

If player would be wormlike, he could e.g. grow when collecting diamonds, like in game Snake. Do you think that player in some situation could also become shorter.

Would it be good idea that player would die only if his head would hit enemy or boulder would fall to head. Rest of the worm's body would be invulnerable.

Also, enemy worm would die only if boulder would fall to its head or head would hit to amoeba.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Welcome to the forum! :D

I think I can come up with a few that somewhat fall into the worm-like category:

Cave Chaos has the player grow a tail as he collects more and more jewels. (Until depositing them, that is.)
Snake Bite by Alan Bond (plays in Rocks 'n' Diamonds) has a snake as the player and is probably close to what you're looking for.
Both Rockford for the C64 and Boulderland (java) have a wormlike enemy, but it's not really mainstream in either game.

I think that rules similar to original boulderdash would be pretty suitable, with modifications made to account for the difference between head and body/tail contact, as you already mentioned. In Alan's snakebite the snake can both grow (eating a red mushroom) and shrink (eating a green mushroom).

Hope this is helpful! :)

(400th post!)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.