Gdash

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Hi, I've got a problem with the new Gdash version (which had also occurde at one of the older ones): When I open S dash, the whole screen is rotated by 90°! (only in Fullscreen mode). When I close it via Taskmanager, even the manager is rotated as long as sdash is open... What can I do against this?
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
cirix

Post by cirix »

:)))
funny. well, it's a video card driver problem or some sdl problem. i don't think i can do anything in either case.

you might try fullscreen + different zoom levels (2x nearest, 3x nearest). 2x nearest should work, as it sets 640x400 mode, which is very close to 640x480, which should really be available everywhere.

cz.
cirix
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Doesn't work. But never mind, the normal Gdash ist just as good!
cirix

new GDash;

Post by cirix »

hi, i uploaded 20100212 which implements the story scrolling and other things Dustin requested.
also there are some other changes which i don't remember :)
cirix
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Cool, I'll try it out shortly! (you didn't modify the graphics file by any chance, did you? :wink:)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Hi!
Thanks a lot for the effort, cirix! :) However, there's a little bug in the new version- the first 1-2 words of the story to each level isn't rwead properly, e.g. sdash makes something like "%=ireourney starts..." out of "The journey starts..." or so...
cirix

Post by cirix »

:-well
:D
corrected.
cirix
wichteltom

Post by wichteltom »

Yesterday, the night ended at 7h in the morning... ;)

But these fast and faster running levels makes me nervous.
Tipping the Keys and coordinate the movement ist extremly serious.
But I will fight them all :twisted:

And then the success will come and has always came.
Never surrender :D

Very, very nice remake.

The only thing, i critisize is the User-Menue. For me, its too overloaded whith functions only an advantaged User needs.
My first Problem was: How to get the screen and graphics bigger...
Well, try and error and sometimes it works.
Now, i have a real good gameplay-screen :D

Hope you understand, what i will say. Sorry for my english...
subotai

Post by subotai »

Szia cirix.

I have got some questions about sdash. Is it possible to toggle to fullscreen or to set the fullscreen mode? When browsing for games, can I use the game directory as the default directory? It would be much easier to me.

Közi ;-)

In Gdash, I remarked the following things. The growing walls should only expand into one direction each frame, not into both. It prefers growing to the left (or to the up). The second issue is not so important. In bd1-games, the magicwall stops the amoeba even if the amoeba is located above the magicwall.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

subotai wrote:The growing walls should only expand into one direction each frame, not into both. It prefers growing to the left (or to the up).
I wonder why you noticed this. I probably never would have. Is there any cave in which this actually makes a significant difference?
In bd1-games, the magicwall stops the amoeba even if the amoeba is located above the magicwall.
That's because, Gdash doesn't emulate the BD1 amoeba bug, afaIk. It is in fact a bug on the C64 port not present on the Atari version. However, there are indeed some caves exploiting it, including BD3, which is a good reason to have this emulated. What you observed is the optional behavior introduced in 1stB.
subotai

Post by subotai »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:I wonder why you noticed this. I probably never would have.
But that's how you also implemented it in your CrLi-Tools, didn't you ;-) . Let's say in some things, I'm a bit fussy. I only analyse the elements by creating my own caves. Nothing extraordinary.
LogicDeLuxe wrote:Is there any cave in which this actually makes a significant difference?
I don't know any. I think It could only make a difference at the start of a cave. But the probability, that this affects any existing game, may be very low.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

subotai wrote:
LogicDeLuxe wrote:I wonder why you noticed this. I probably never would have.
But that's how you also implemented it in your CrLi-Tools, didn't you ;-) .
Not exactly. CrLi is based on 1stB, and the 1stB engine (not the construction kit) is done by Prof. Knibble. And his code is based on the PLCK engine. He extended the code to allow vertical growing as well, but probably didn't change it otherwise. I didn't touch that code at all.
Let's say in some things, I'm a bit fussy. I only analyse the elements by creating my own caves. Nothing extraordinary.
Nothing wrong with it. And since cirix is interested in GDash being as compatible as possible, it's worth mentioning for sure.
cirix

Post by cirix »

subotai wrote:Is it possible to toggle to fullscreen or to set the fullscreen mode?
Toggling, unfortunately, no. That would require a major rewrite of my sdl code.
If you go to the options menu, you can enable fullscreen, but you need a restart of the game.
subotai wrote:When browsing for games, can I use the game directory as the default directory?
just press c instead of l.
In Gdash, I remarked the following things. The growing walls should only expand into one direction each frame, not into both. It prefers growing to the left (or to the up).
Ok, i will fix this.
The second issue is not so important. In bd1-games, the magicwall stops the amoeba even if the amoeba is located above the magicwall.
The C64-bd1 magic wall thing is a quite a little bit tricky, as it not only affects the amoeba, but the whole cave timing, drawing and everything. And up to now, I could not understand it exactly (I understand, why it converts amoeba, but the whole thing together with drawing and everything). That's why I did not implement it.
cirix
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

cirix wrote:I understand, why it converts amoeba, but the whole thing together with drawing and everything
I think, those are actually two different bugs. My BD3 bugfix fixes the drawing bug, but it doesn't touch the timing bug, which some caves depend on.
I don't see a reason to emulate the drawing bug. There are no caves requiring that.
cirix

Post by cirix »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:I don't see a reason to emulate the drawing bug. There are no caves requiring that.
yes, but to me it seemed that the timing depends on that... i don't really know. and it's low priority on the todo list...
cirix