Packing caves with the deluxepacker

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

subotai

Packing caves with the deluxepacker

Post by subotai »

Hi!

This might be a silly question, but I have absolutely no idea, what to do. I have created some caves with the construction kit and saved them to disk. Now I'd like to create a game by using the deluxepacker 1.55. The files are stored in the directory of the vice-emulator and have got the extension *.p00 (for example testcav.p00). The problem is that the deluxepacker can't find these files when I try to load them. Can anybody help me? Thanks.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

I think, copying the caves into a disk image would be a good idea.
64copy might come in handy.
I recommend using a 1581 image. It has enough space to put your caves, all the tools you need, and the game to compress on it, so you don't even have to change disks while working on your game.
subotai

Post by subotai »

Wow :D
Thanks, this is great (64Copy and your Deluxepacker). And your dlp155 is very easy to use. When I pack the game with the included packer, it asks the following questions:
"S"EI OR "C"LI?
SHALL THE DECRUNCHER SET 2D/2E?
What is this good for?

When I save diamonds in the lowest line, is it normal that I can collect the diamonds by digging from the line above but that I get stuck when I walk into it. That's because the last line isn't scanned, is it?

Thanks
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

subotai wrote:When I pack the game with the included packer, it asks the following questions:
"S"EI OR "C"LI?
SHALL THE DECRUNCHER SET 2D/2E?
What is this good for?
It's meant for different software. Just select anything, it won't matter.
When I save diamonds in the lowest line, is it normal that I can collect the diamonds by digging from the line above but that I get stuck when I walk into it. That's because the last line isn't scanned, is it?
Exactly. The border can be best used for aesthetic reasons. Magic walls will work fine, though.
subotai

Post by subotai »

I have got one more question about the cruncher. I hope, somebody can help me. Using the "Fast crueler v3" has the side effect that the border in vice gets "nice rainbow colors" while decrunching the finished game. Can I avoid this? I couldn't detect this side effect in other games. So I suspect that maybe something went wrong?

EDIT: Ok, works fine now. I just used another cruncher. But, if somebody has found a solution for the "Fast crueler", I'm still interested.

Thanks
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

All the various Boulder Dash are crunched with all the various different crunchers there are. Most of them have some effect to indicate that decrunching is in progress. This effect differs a lot between crunchers.

Since you're using emulators, Exomizer is probably the most efficient cruncher (ie. small files while still pretty fast in decrunching, and various more highlights which aren't important in this case). It's a bit more complicated to use, though, as you have to export your file, crunch it on the command line and usually reimport the crunched file to a disk image.
Exomizer can decrunch completely silent too, if you like.

If you still like the Fastcrueler, the decruncher would be probably easy to hack to have a different effect or no effect at all.

I wonder though, why is the decrunch effect such a problem to you anyways?
subotai

Post by subotai »

Thanks for your reply!
LogicDeLuxe wrote:I wonder though, why is the decrunch effect such a problem to you anyways?
Not really. I was just wondering, because I haven't seen this effect before. So it seems that other game creators just used other crunchers. I like the "Fast crueler", because it's very easy to use, and the compression ratio seems to be good. I will check out the Exomizer, if I can handle it :)
subotai

Post by subotai »

Ok. Finally, it also depends on the source file (Maybe the offset of the start adress?). A game created with your Crli-Tools has not such a color effect as I described. Never mind, I'm lucky with the result.