New Sga Project

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

Hi Richard (subotai),
I also grew up in the 80's (born in 1972) and that is my favourite period (music/games, etc) :)

I frequent www.pascalgamedevelopment.com quite a bit (same username BTW)

I will try and do more of my boulder dash-inspired game The Probe very soon...I have been rather slack of late in that department! haha

cheers,
Paul
subotai

Post by subotai »

paul_nicholls wrote:I have been rather slack of late in that department!
Don't worry about that :lol:

I already was on the verge of stopping my "work" (for whom the f*** I'm doing this). But finally, I'm glad that I've "finished" it ;-). Don't take things too serious and take your time. It is finished when it is finished, or not. :twisted:
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

Thanks for the encouragement, and keep up your great effort too :)

cheers,
Paul
subotai

Post by subotai »

New update: Version 1.0 Alpha Build 671

Changes:
- Removed resolution 1024*768 pixels
- Improved code for brightening effect when last diamond was collected
- Minor bug fix: Skip high-score menu when quitting the game after game over

If you need the resolution 1024*768, I can reimplement it. I just removed it, because I did not like the scaling.
subotai

Post by subotai »

A new version of my tilemanager is available. You can download it from my hompage (first post of this thread).

Selectable tile sizes: 16 * 16 pixels & 32 * 32 pixels. If you want to import a bitmap as a tileset, the size of the bitmap has to be 768 * 256 pixels or 384 * 128 pixels.

You can also download a tileset from the game Boulder Remake. I hope that the author does not mind.

Richard
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

subotai wrote:A new version of my tilemanager is available. You can download it from my hompage (first post of this thread).

Selectable tile sizes: 16 * 16 pixels & 32 * 32 pixels. If you want to import a bitmap as a tileset, the size of the bitmap has to be 768 * 256 pixels or 384 * 128 pixels.

You can also download a tileset from the game Boulder Remake. I hope that the author does not mind.

Richard
Nice! I will try ASAP...

cheers,
Paul
subotai

Post by subotai »

New update: Version 1.0 Alpha Build 676

Changes:
- New Tileset (graphics with higher resolution; 32 * 32 pixels)
- Default game "RDEngine.rde" with full demo
- Game package with 15 games

I created new graphics with a higher resolution. You can watch the screenshot on my homepage or in the first post of this thread. I created a new and very easy to play game with the new elements from the game "Rockford" snakes, taps, etc.. The game also shows some features of the engine. A full demo is included. Now, 15 fanmade games are included.

Have fun :-)
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

subotai wrote:New update: Version 1.0 Alpha Build 676

Changes:
- New Tileset (graphics with higher resolution; 32 * 32 pixels)
- Default game "RDEngine.rde" with full demo
- Game package with 15 games

I created new graphics with a higher resolution. You can watch the screenshot on my homepage or in the first post of this thread. I created a new and very easy to play game with the new elements from the game "Rockford" snakes, taps, etc.. The game also shows some features of the engine. A full demo is included. Now, 15 fanmade games are included.

Have fun :-)
I will have get off my arse and have a play! haha

Thanks for sharing :)

cheers,
Paul
subotai

Post by subotai »

Hey paul,

thanks for your kind words :-) I slowed down the development, I'm doing nothing actually ;-)

For the moment, I enjoy the real life instead 8)
If I will get off my arse I have the following plans:

I will try to improve the keyboard input controls (if possible). I have plans to support full gamepad navigation in the menus. I will remove some minor bugs. I want to create better sound effects. And I will adjust the "tools".

Richard
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

subotai wrote:Hey paul,

thanks for your kind words :-) I slowed down the development, I'm doing nothing actually ;-)

For the moment, I enjoy the real life instead 8)
If I will get off my arse I have the following plans:

I will try to improve the keyboard input controls (if possible). I have plans to support full gamepad navigation in the menus. I will remove some minor bugs. I want to create better sound effects. And I will adjust the "tools".

Richard
Nice :) Since I just finished a game entry for a pascal game development competition, I might have a play tonight :)

Off Topic: The competition theme was "Simple controller" - you had to program a game in some dialect of pascal that didn't use more than up/down/left/right, and up to 4 other buttons in total.

This simulated a basic input controller that you were limited to using, and you get bonus points for using less conrols than the full complement :)

Here is a screenshot of my entry (Vectored!):

You can download it here (includes a read me file and a documentation pdf file - is arund 5.8MB, Win32 only):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1805932/paul_ni ... %21%21.zip

http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/sh ... C-Vectored!

You can find all the threads for the entered games here if you are interested:
http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/fo ... Controller

cheers,
Paul
subotai

Post by subotai »

Thanks paul for the links :-)

Well, sometimes I have the intention that controlling the movements is better in other games (for example in Boulder Remake). Due to the fact that I use custom keys, I simplified the input and only read the actual keystate instead of "polling the event loop". Maybe this is the problem. I will check this issue as soon as possible.

Richard
subotai

Post by subotai »

New update: Version 1.0 Beta

Changes:
- Stable beta stage now
- Exchanged some graphics
- Fixed the "Looks like" effect in the cave selection menu (was not displayed)
- Removed intro screen
- Minor changes of the text in the menus

I worked more on the tools than on the game. Now, you can download the CaveEditor and the TileExchanger in one package (RDCaveTools) from my homepage.

I'm still working on the documentations for the editor and the game. They will be included in the next release.

Enjoy playing :)
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

Keep em coming dude! Nice stuff :)

cheers,
Paul
subotai

Post by subotai »

Due to some incompatibility problems with the editor, I removed the download link of the game. I'm very sorry for that and hope that you don't mind. I forgot to test the editor before releasing it :-( The game works fine as long as it's not combined with the editor.

When you want to play a cave in the editor, the game will crash. It is no big deal to fix that, but I will take my time to ensure that everything works fine now.

I will upload a new working version as soon as possible.

"Never change a running system"
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

subotai wrote:Due to some incompatibility problems with the editor, I removed the download link of the game. I'm very sorry for that and hope that you don't mind. I forgot to test the editor before releasing it :-( The game works fine as long as it's not combined with the editor.

When you want to play a cave in the editor, the game will crash. It is no big deal to fix that, but I will take my time to ensure that everything works fine now.

I will upload a new working version as soon as possible.

"Never change a running system"
No worries mate :)

"If it ain't broken, change it till it is..." LOL

cheers,
Paul