Coblyn

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

CWS

Post by CWS »

I can't - I have special drivers for my arcade cab which can not be upgraded (at least at the moment). But why do they crash when it worked before? Is there a program to check for such problems?

Nevertheless I do not understand why I can watch the demo and it only crashes when clicking the "Start" button!? So the drivers can not be the problem as watching the game is the same as playing it myself. And I do not understand why 3.0.4 worked before and now it does not work anymore...

I also noticed that "QUIT" in full screen freezes the display and I can not go back to the desktop. I have to turn off the computer. Only in window mode quit works like it should.

I even tried another OpenGL game - and it works perfect.
Muryan

Post by Muryan »

I guess it was only luck that it worked before.

The Start screen uses a special OpenGL feature to create the preview image (render to texture). The preview is updated when switching to the Start screen, which is what I think is triggering the crash. Running a demo doesn't need to do anything with a preview, so it runs fine.

I don't know of any programs to check for this kind of thing, but if you look for one the feature it needs to test is "GL_EXT_framebuffer_object".
CWS

Post by CWS »

Is it possible to create a test version for me without the preview? If this works this would be a solution for me. I do not necessarily need the cave preview...

PS: I found "GLView" (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/) - maybe I can find out something with this program.

"GLView" is a nice program. I made a basic check with this program and all tests pass without problems. "GL_EXT_framebuffer_object" appears in the extensions and it's checked. OpenGL 2.0 is installed on my system, DirectX 9 lastest version from August 2010. "GL_EXT_framebuffer_object" is not in the list, not under "supported" and not under "unsupported". The nearest thing is "GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit or _multisample" under "unsupported" (as it's OpenGL 3.1). I checked all options from OpenGL 1.1 to 4.2.

You can check in the database of GLView which extensions are supported. Mine is a ATI Radeon HD 2400. It's greyed out there. But it does not explain why older versions of Coblyn worked.

Nevertheless this does not explain why the game worked before (all versions you released for Windows), including the cave preview. And I played it a lot! Suddenly it stopped working...
Muryan

Post by Muryan »

I've got a new Coblyn for you (3.1.2). I've added a cheat code that toggles the preview on and off (it beeps each time you enter the code to let you know you've typed it right). By default the preview is shown, so you will need to enter the code.

The code is: nopreview4me

Unlike the other cheats, this one is remembered when you quit and restart Coblyn, so entering it once will be enough. Good luck! :)

You can get the new Coblyn here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8929082/Coblyn_Windows_312.zip
CWS

Post by CWS »

Thank you! The thing with the cheat code works! Now it does not crash anymore!

Please keep that cheat for all following versions!

Thanx!
Muryan

Post by Muryan »

That's good news! :D

I'll definitely keep the cheat -- it's a useful one to have.
CWS

Post by CWS »

Thanx! You are the best! :)

I still wonder why previous versions worked without crashing (I definately remember seeing the cave previews after clicking the start button). But never mind - it works now! :)

Keep on improving your great game! My personal list would be just a very little bit more of the sparkles on the diamonds and more elements (like in GDash) to be able to use more of the BDCFF games...