Boulder Dash cave data?

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

thrust26

Boulder Dash cave data?

Post by thrust26 »

Does anyone know where I can find the cave data of the first three "official" BD releases? I found BD1 but no more.
Arno
Site Admin

Re: Boulder Dash cave data?

Post by Arno »

thrust26 wrote:Does anyone know where I can find the cave data of the first three "official" BD releases? I found BD1 but no more.
Not sure if this helps for your purposes, but my site contains cave data in BDCFF format for a lot of BD games. This is not raw cave data, but rather an xml-like text format defining the cave maps and parameters.
The first 3 official BD releases can be found behind the following URLs:
www.boulderdash.nl/down/bdcff/BDCFF_PeterLiepa.zip
www.boulderdash.nl/down/bdcff/BDCFF_AmericanAction.zip
thrust26

Post by thrust26 »

Thanks a lot.
Piter

Post by Piter »

Alternatively you may want to use GDash. Included editor allows to export into BDCFF format and if I remember, there are included original level sets within game.
thrust26

Post by thrust26 »

piter wrote:Alternatively you may want to use GDash. Included editor allows to export into BDCFF format and if I remember, there are included original level sets within game.
I was searching for the source code, is it available anywhere?
Piter

Post by Piter »

thrust26 wrote:
piter wrote:Alternatively you may want to use GDash. Included editor allows to export into BDCFF format and if I remember, there are included original level sets within game.
I was searching for the source code, is it available anywhere?
What do you understand by the source code?

The Boulder Dash source code? AFAIK there isn't one.

However if you are just looking for raw cave data, the best way is to get memory dump from either C64 or Atari and decode it. I'd advise reading docs created by Peter Broadribb. They can be found for example on Martijn's BD site in "other file data" section. You can find there documents with raw and decoded cave data for BD1.
thrust26

Post by thrust26 »

No, I meant the GDash source code.
Piter

Post by Piter »

thrust26 wrote:No, I meant the GDash source code.
Unfortunately latest release of GDash (from April'13) came without source code. However, the older releases came with it, so you could try to find it or ask Cirix from this forum about it - he's an author of GDash.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

There is a ready to compile source of BD1: http://csdb.dk/release/?id=66914

Peiselulli based that Boulder Dash DTV on an original disassembly and there is even the option to build a bit-identical original. (I did not try, though).
thrust26

Post by thrust26 »

Thanks, I will have a look at it.
cirix

Post by cirix »

gdash is always with source code. it's an open source game: http://code.google.com/p/gdash/
you can read the source. src/fileops/binaryimport.cpp has the vice emulator snapshot loading routine, and c64import.cpp has all the routines which load the binary data and create the internal data structures used by gdash. it has lines like

Code: Select all

cave.level_diamonds[i] = data[8 + i];
so it's quite handy as a reference. i also suggest reading docs/c64_internals.txt. the home page of logicdeluxe has a lot of boulder dash internals info: http://gratissaugen.de/erbsen/ .
cirix