Temple of the Eagle (for Boulder Remake)

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Donald Osselaer

Temple of the Eagle (for Boulder Remake)

Post by Donald Osselaer »

Hi there,

My name is Donald and I'm from Belgium.
I don't know where this should be posted so I'll post it here.
As a kid I became a Boulder Dash fan while playing the originals on my C64 and I especially loved BD2.
Those were the days when graphics were still inferior to actual good and challenging gameplay :)
A while ago I stumbled upon Boulder Remake and the great oldskool graphics Arno made for it.
It felt great to relive my childhood but I was even more excited to find out it had an editor! (I never had an editor as a kid)
I decided to give it a try and make my own set of caves.

Here it is:

http://users.telenet.be/adelaar/TempleOfTheEagle.zip

I added a text file with some info, a basic story and the names of the levels.
The name of the game and the story are cheesy, I know, but I like cheesy sometimes.

Have fun :)
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Hi Donald! Goedendag! or Bonjour!

Welcome to the forum and thanx for sharing your creation! :D
I'd like to try it out, maybe in the weekend.
Donald Osselaer

I've played many of your caves, Arno, so I know you're a Boulder Dash pro and I have to warn you that the first few caves of my game will probably be quite easy for you.
Don't worry, though: It gets harder later on :)
Donald Osselaer

177 views but zero reviews?
Please guys ... drop a line if you liked it ... or didn't ;)

Speaking of reviews:
Arno, I'm currently playing your "Arno Dash 11" and I must say Cave E in that one is truly great.
I keep telling my wife how Boulder Dash is the best game ever because of the way it succeeds at creating such a vast array of different challenges with such a simple engine and that level is a perfect example of exactly that.
Instead of a challenge in dexterity, it proves to be a challenge in code-cracking :)

What I don't like are the "growing walls" levels, though, as they are more about luck than about skill. That's why I personally never use them.
Another reason why I don't use them is because my reference for Boulder Dash is the original BD2, which didn't have those.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Nice, challenging classic style caves! I like caves E, F and L in particular! :)

About the growing walls, I use them sparsely. I also find them annoying sometimes, especially when you have to guess where they are placed. BTW, BD2 does have a growing wall, in cave O. Perhaps you meant BD1 as your reference? ;)