One mistake...

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

RTADash

One mistake...

Post by RTADash »

There is one mistake in RTAD2 :shock: that I never found significant enough to fix. The first person to find it will be sent a tamed pet butterfly that you can kill for a square of 25 diamonds instead of the ordinary 9. Let me know if you want a hint or more info. :)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

[spoiler]
Don't know if you consider the following as mistakes, but here's what I found:
- In caves 7, 8 the magic wall time is not set. (I've made that mistake several times... :wink:)
- In cave 8 the magic wall is actually not needed as there are plenty of boulders outside the boxes.
- In caves 14, 15 the bonus diamond value is not set, while bonus diamonds can be collected.
- In cave 16 the bonus diamond value is set, while there are no bonus diamonds to be found.
- In cave 18 there is the "zig zag" line, but one butterfly deviates from that line.
- Cave 20 can be done without enclosing the amoeba.
[/spoiler]
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

You won the butterfly! :D I'll email it to you!

[spoiler]
The cave 15 one is correct!

- I didn't quite forget the M-wall limit in 7-8, but I didn't see much use in setting one, either. :lol:
- The cave 8 M-wall is just some extra bonus diamonds for those who discover it. (Not hard with the maps)
- In 14, whoa, I didn't notice that. Sorry I'll have to do one more fix even after I finalized everything :oops: :cry:
- In 15 the bonus diamond value is not set, while bonus diamonds can be collected. :xyes: I apparently couldn't count very well at that time :lol:.
- In cave 16 the bonus diamond value is just to make you go looking for them when there aren't any. A little evil trick. :twisted:
- In cave 18, I just wanted more B-flies so I just placed some extra ones and that one ended up outside the pattern. (I guess I could have replaced the rock.)
- In 20, the amoeba is just to block you off if you go too slowly.
[/spoiler]

[EDIT] No, wait; In cave 14 the bonus diamond value is 5, it doesn't change from the initial value (in the game or the video). The maps/BDCFF got screwed up somehow. It says 0 on my maps, too. Maybe the X2BDCFF converter doesn't recognize both diamond point values if they're the same... :dunno: Now that that's fine, I'm still too lazy to fix the int3 bug. :twisted:

Maybe LogicDeLuxe will create a RTAD2 fix that alters the Int3 bonus diamond value so those 2 diamonds aren't worth nothing. [/joking] :lol:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

RTADash wrote:You won the butterfly! :D I'll email it to you!
Thanx! :) I decided to smash it immediately! Now let's put those 25 diamonds into cave 15! :lol:
RTADash wrote:No, wait; In cave 14 the bonus diamond value is 5, it doesn't change from the initial value (in the game or the video). The maps/BDCFF got screwed up somehow. It says 0 on my maps, too.
[Edit] I first thought it was a flaw of the BDCFF2MAPS converter: The .bd file has only 1 value for DiamondValue and the converter inserts 0 for the bonus value in those cases, instead of the initial value.

However, in BD1 cave C (and some other caves/ints) there's also 1 value specified, but the bonus value is 0 in the game. Thus it seems dependant on the engine what should happen with the bonus diamond value, when it's not specified....
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Arno wrote:Thanx! :) I decided to smash it immediately!
/¯¯¯¯¯\
| R.I.P. | :twisted:
| -Bob- |
|_____|

Soon, I'll put up a competition to win Fiona the Firefly!

As for the diamond value, I think that the X2BDCFF should be fixed to always include two diamond values for those situations.
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

The BDCFF format isn't clear on this:
DiamondValue
Number of points per diamond (two or one numbers, second value is number of bonus points per diamond)
Unfortunately, it does not state what the engine should do if there is only one value.
I'll add clarification on this to my BDCFF extension.
The best way to avoid this issue is to always give two values, of course.

What do you think should be the rule? Bonus value=initial value, or should it be 0 then? It can't be both.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Hmmm... it seems that the X2BDCFF converter inserts 1 single value in both cases.

I just discovered that Boulder Dash 2 has bonus value = initial value in A, L, O and int 1, but zero in int 2. However, in the .bd file only 1 value appears for all these caves.

I'd say always requiring 2 values will solve all problems.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Arno wrote:I'd say always requiring 2 values will solve all problems.
Not all. Sure, the author of a BDCFF file can avoid this problem by having always two numbers. But any software conform to BDCFF has to handle the case where only one number is there anyways. Unless, every single BDCFF file out there will be updated, in which case, we can just discard the one number option from the specifications.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I just go into the files and edit the numbers. Easy enough for me... :yesss:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.