Boulder Dash Forum Forum Index Boulder Dash Forum
The only Boulder Dash discussion board in English language!
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

something interesting I found....

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Boulder Dash Forum Forum Index -> Tools, Fanstuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RaVeN72
Member


Joined: 25 Oct 2016
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: something interesting I found.... Reply with quote

while looking through some versions of the C64 Boulderdash IV / Construction Kit in CSDB I found one that also includes a game module file that appears to have been patched to not require a GAM file to load the levels....Instead it loads the CAV files in sequential order (they must be named 01.CAV, 02.CAV, 03.CAV) - this seems a pretty neat way to make a 'standalone' game without extra editors, compressors, etc....
_________________
Currently Playing :- No One's Boulder 01
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LogicDeLuxe
Member


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 588

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a hacked tape version to me. Can it be restarted with SYS22969? Then it certainly is.
The tape version just loads the caves as they are present on the tape, which is sequential by nature. Since floppy disks are not, they specifically designed the gam files for that kind of media, but not used it on tape.
Oddly enough, they included the same construction kit with disk and tape versions, which can be confusing, if you don't know the differences.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RaVeN72
Member


Joined: 25 Oct 2016
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
Sounds like a hacked tape version to me. Can it be restarted with SYS22969? Then it certainly is.
The tape version just loads the caves as they are present on the tape, which is sequential by nature. Since floppy disks are not, they specifically designed the gam files for that kind of media, but not used it on tape.
Oddly enough, they included the same construction kit with disk and tape versions, which can be confusing, if you don't know the differences.


nice dectective work - SYS22969 does indeed restart the game - and the intro/docs specifies 15 caves, which matches the tape version of the construction kit

edit:- so after a busy afternoon with the VICE emulator and Monitor, I now have a version of the game module without the silly crackers intro and documentation that starts at the main boulder dash cave selection screen - quite happy with myself today Smile
_________________
Currently Playing :- No One's Boulder 01
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LogicDeLuxe
Member


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 588

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it $565d sta $29? That is the cause for garbled memory resulting in crashes or broken caves. If you really intend to use this version, you should change that to nop nop.

I always wondered how that instruction ended there. That byte is never read explicitly, but it is part of a table used by the dissolve effect. Also BD1 and BD2 have such a superfluous instruction in this routine, except it doesn't conflict with anything on those. Must be a vicious typo in the source code ever since, but only took effect when they did PLCK for some reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RaVeN72
Member


Joined: 25 Oct 2016
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
Has it $565d sta $29? That is the cause for garbled memory resulting in crashes or broken caves. If you really intend to use this version, you should change that to nop nop.

I always wondered how that instruction ended there. That byte is never read explicitly, but it is part of a table used by the dissolve effect. Also BD1 and BD2 have such a superfluous instruction in this routine, except it doesn't conflict with anything on those. Must be a vicious typo in the source code ever since, but only took effect when they did PLCK for some reason.


Thank you for the information - i have patched the two bytes with NOP's - although I played through some cave and saw no evidence of crashing or broken caves without the patch
_________________
Currently Playing :- No One's Boulder 01
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LogicDeLuxe
Member


Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Posts: 588

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaVeN72 wrote:
although I played through some cave and saw no evidence of crashing or broken caves without the patch
It randomly happens when you press the button at finishing or restarting a cave. In corrupted caves, you'll get randomly placed dirt and hidden exits next to it, since the dissolve char (7c) equals to the nybble codes of those two elements.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RaVeN72
Member


Joined: 25 Oct 2016
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have been continuing to experiment with the different versions of the construction kit - I made some caves with the tape version, storing the single caves on individual .TAP files - now to join the individual .TAP files into a single .TAP file, I found that this works which was a bit of a surprise:-

at the command prompt type

copy /b 1.tap+2.tap+3.tap 123.tap

will join the three .TAP files into a single file named 123.tap

the game module will happily load all 3 caves - something I could not achive using a file copying program in emulation
_________________
Currently Playing :- No One's Boulder 01
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Boulder Dash Forum Forum Index -> Tools, Fanstuff All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group