Bosh

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

Arno
Site Admin

Bosh

Post by Arno »

Just discovered the following "reduced-screen-BD-clone":

http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=988&d=18&h=0

Anyone who already played this?
Simon

Re: Bosh

Post by Simon »

Arno wrote:Just discovered the following "reduced-screen-BD-clone":

http://www.gb64.com/game.php?id=988&d=18&h=0

Anyone who already played this?
Hm, "Bosh", never heard of it before. Looks like a terribly bad BD1 clone to me. You can play by keyboard with I, J, K, M. I managed to detroy some titan walls when I dropped a boulder on Rockford's head. Oops. Why is the screen so small? Why does this clone exist? :? Funny enough, exact copies of the original BD1 caves (at least A/1 and B/1) are included.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Wow! This is ... total crap. :( I love those uncommon clones where you can move Rockford...and this isn't one of them... :roll: (I tried JS port 2 already)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Simon

Post by Simon »

RTADash wrote:I love those uncommon clones where you can move Rockford...and this isn't one of them... :roll: (I tried JS port 2 already)
I found out that you can move Rockford by keyboard. Press I to go up, press J or K to go to the left or to the right, and press M to go down.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

After all, I find it crap too. However, I was a bit surprised of the difficulty I had completing BD1 cave A and B :oops: just because of the reduced screen and inconvenient keyboard control. (Time limit!)
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Simon wrote:I found out that you can move Rockford by keyboard. Press I to go up, press J or K to go to the left or to the right, and press M to go down.
Oh. :? It would make more sense as I - J - K - L - it fits the hand way better...whoever made this really wasn't thinking at all.
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Simon

Post by Simon »

RTADash wrote:whoever made this really wasn't thinking at all.
I really wonder who made this, and why. Was this supposed to be a game to be sold? Not really, was it? Maybe it was some kind of test or a demo, just to say: "Look, I can code this."

At first I thought that it could be some kind of competition entry where the competition rules say something like "you mustn't use bitmap or character graphics, you may use sprites and raster interrupts only". But, a quick glance in WinVICE's monitor revealed that no sprites are used. Heck, it doesn't use interrupts at all! :shock:

Did anybody else notice that it scrolls quite fast horizontally but really slow vertically? Strange!
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Simon wrote:Did anybody else notice that it scrolls quite fast horizontally but really slow vertically? Strange!
Probably because each screen [cave] is a lot longer horizontally.

Another great feature: You can hardly dodge falling boulders at all without dying immediately...yay! :roll:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.