Dustin's Boulder Dash

New game releases, new tools, website updates, ...

Moderator: Admin

paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

Keep up the good work mate :)
cheers,
Paul
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Thank you paul_nicholis! :) Maybe the next game of the series will still come out this year! Or else early in 2018. It's funny - after the release of episode 7 I didn't have any more ideas for (classical) caves... and now I've got enough for 1 1/2 more gaes again :D
BTW, one of the next episodes will be a special edition... just to make you curious ;)
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Hi,
Dustin's BD 8 is in the state of final testing and will come out soon! As usual, here are cave descriptions as an appertizer ;)

A (Underground Tunnel): Rockford must use a kind of lift several times, and the other inmates are not so peaceful!

B (Bullseyes): Just one word: chaos!

C (Collapsing Grotto): Even Rockford wouldn't enter this unstable grotto - if not for the light glitter coming from the other end!

D (Round tour): Even having a little walk, Rockford leaves chaos behind!

E (England Flag Reverse): An explosion cave, where I found a challenging random seed for level 5!

F (Animality): All three classical BD animals here - one chasing, one blocking the way, and one causing spectacular fireworks!

G (Evanesco): A nightmare for Rocky - he cannot prevent a lot of jewels vanishing, so he must quickly collect as many as he can! I think level 5 is very tough to beat (in general, but espécially here)!

H (Minority): Within a mass of fireflies, Rockford searches for the few more valuable animals!

I (Mixture): The good ones go into Rockford's purse, the bad ones stay in the cave!

J (Survival): A cave where Rockford needn't do anything active - just try not to explode!

K (More Cocoons): Four cocoons in 1985 - and twelve in 2018!

L (Race): Who is faster - Rockford or his bubbling "friend"?

M (No less, no more): If Rockford tries to get any bonus diamonds - he won't get diamonds at all!

N (Phantasmic Symmetry): The mini challenges look completely symmetric - but they aren't!

O (Temple): A little puzzle - how to enter and leave the temple without being caught in it forever?

P (Enter Password): Only those who were attentive during the game know the password!

I hope I succeeded in making you curious - coming out soon :)
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

Thumbs up :)
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Curious, for sure! :yesss:
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Hi Arno, Paul and all the others!
Sorry, sorry, sorry that I still haven't made the promised release - in fact, I haven't Boulder Dashed in 2018 at all yet, but this weekend I'll finish and release Dustin's BD 9 for sure! (And it is DBD9 even though there's no DBD8 yet, just because DBD8 will be something special and took/ will take me longer to finish, even though I started with DBD8 before DBD9!)
I hope you still let this weekend count as "early in 2018"!

Cheers and thanks for your comments! :)
Dustin
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

The game is done... all I need now is a title screen and I'll send it to Arno for a release! :)
zsom

Post by zsom »

Dustin, I'm glad you're still working at Gdash.

Thanks to you, I am learning the cave editor.

I watch how you use tools such as "setup cave random fill" or "draw maze".

Your caves are very interesting.

Regards
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Thank you zsom, I'm very happy to read that! :)

The game is out now - I sent an e-mail to Arno. Thanks in advance for the release, Arno!
zsom

Post by zsom »

I like your games most: Rock Fort, all three.
You used very interesting tricks in them, elements that are only on a particular level of difficulty, eg there is something on levels 1 and 2, and this is not on levels 3, 4 or 5.
At the time, I did not know that it could be done in this way.

I am waiting impatiently for DBD9 and 8.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Thank you zsom! :)
Yes, when I was planning the RockFort trilogy, I didn't know that either, but someone here in the forum (I think it was LogicDeLuxe) informed me about that and I was very happy that I could vary the five difficulty levels to such a great extent.
After RockFort I wanted to make one or two games in the style of the original BD1 and BD2, I was curious how much the difficulty could be varied only by means of changing needed diamonds, random seed, time and cave speed. Well, by now it's become far more than "one or two" games :D
In fact, I'm also still working on a really big game (>80 caves) with a completely different style, including a lot of new elements and a real story again, as in RocFort 1-3. I think I started working on this game more than 5 years ago, but I want it to be perfext and still don't know when it will be completely finished. In fact, all the caves are somewhat finished (the game would already be playable) but I'm still not fully satisfied (perfectionism...) :D
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Dustin's BD 9 is now released on the Game Base:
http://www.boulderdash.nl/bdgb/view_gam ... dustinsbd9
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Thank you Arno!
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Hi BD fans!
Probably most of you don't know about the German Let's Player "challengetimelp" (on YouTube). He invents challenges in Mario games to make the levels harder, e.g. in some levels, you may not touch platforms of a certain colour, or you must defeat all enemies etc. I quite like these videos and now the idea came to me to make the same thing in BD caves!
And I started to make a "new" game out of it, not with new caves, but with challenges to every cave of BD1+2 by Peter Liepa. Using the GDash "story mode" I describe the challenges in words so you can try them out, and I make demos how I solve the challenges.
I want to be creative and the challenge never goes "collect at least x diamonds" or "finish the cave with y seconds left". Instead, there'll be a cave where you may never move or snap into a certain direction, another where you may never touch a brick wall, another where you must defeat all fireflies etc. Some of the challenges are "puzzle-like" and forbid you to solve the cave the way the game normally "wants".

As an appertizer, here are the challenges of cave A of both games:

BD1, cave A: Rockford may only collect diamonds that directly contact the cave border. (solvable only on level 4 and 5 - try it!)

BD2, cave A (on level 1): Exactly every third piece of Magic Wall must convert exactly one rock into a diamond. No other piece of Magic Wall may convert any rocks. (As there are 14 pieces of Magic Wall, it doesn't matter whether you count "every third piece" from the left or the right side :D )

Hope that made you curious! I'll wait a bit with the release because perhaps I can think of better challenges than I already have in some caves, and also because DBD9 is still not so long ago ;)

Cheers, Dustin
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Sounds interesting, but you cannot enforce the player to satisfy the additional rules, isn't it? :)