Rockford - First Cowboy Level

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

Matt Vinyl

Rockford - First Cowboy Level

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Afternoon all! Great site, dedicated to a great game!

I played (Mastertronic) Rockford a lot on the Atari 800Xl back in the 80's, but I recall that the first level of the cowboy areas was impossible to complete, as there were not enough coins to collect.

There was, however, an invisible item in the left hand corner of the level where all the enemies were, but I couldn't do the level however I tried. Was this a well reported issue, and I'd love to see the later levels!

:)
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Hi Matt! :)

I remember the same question was asked to me a while ago by some BD fan (of was this the same Matt :?: )

By then, I played Rockford on the C64 and managed to complete the first Cowboy-level. Although I don't recall how I did it, nor if some trick was required to use.

Nevertheless, the Atari may differ from the C64, and I've never played the Atari version of Rockford. Any Atari freaks out there ?
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Just a note. It looks like RTA Dash 6, cave M is a C64 remake of this level, although it doesn't contain the invisible item. Quite funny! :)

Last edited by Arno on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

That cave was from Level 11-1 in Boulder Dash for the NES, by Data East inc. I just added more boulders and f-flies; I didn't know about Rockford for the Atari800XL at the time. :?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/587153/14893
Last edited by RTADash on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

RTADash wrote:That cave was from Level 11-1 in Boulder Dash for the NES, by Data East inc. I just added more boulders and f-flies; I didn't know about Rockford for the Atari800XL at the time. :?
Well, that's quite remarkable. If you play the C64 version of Rockford, you'll notice that level 1 of world 3 (the cowboy area) is quite similar to this NES level. There are just a few differences (also the cave dimensions are different).

So apparently some of the NES levels were inspired by Rockford.

@Matt: have you ever played the C64 version? Did you encounter the same problem there?
Last edited by Arno on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Arno wrote:So apparently some of the NES levels were inspired by Rockford.
It's a small world, after all. :lol:

(BTW, I wish my image would stay up - maybe it's just the browser...)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

RTADash wrote:(BTW, I wish my image would stay up - maybe it's just the browser...)
I fixed it.
simon15

Post by simon15 »

Hey all, i to had problems with the first level on the cowboy world on the atari. i recall the invisible block on the bottom corner of the gems and there not being enough of those to complete the level.
Unfortunately i never figured out how to complete it.
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Hiya, thanks for your responses.

Funnily, I think I did post this elsewhere, but I erm, forgot where, and couldn't locate it to see the answer! ;)

Simon15 - yes, that is indeed it, the invisible item was in the bottom right-hand corner of the coins. It could be destroyed by an explosion, but it didn't hurt Rockford if he touched it. The reason you could see that an item was there, was because other items would 'float' on it, and Rockford couldn't move through it. Would love to find out what it was, as it troubled me for years! I think it may have been a bug with the Atari version, perhaps?
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

This problem occurs in the C64 version too!

If you play the version from here you'll need 60 gems while only 54 are available. (Other cracks decrease the required number to 50 so that an easy level remains.)

Also on the C64 there is that strange unvisible item, which you probably have to use someway for the last 6 gems... anyway I didn't find out how...

Anyone who can help?
Matt Vinyl

Post by Matt Vinyl »

Ah, am glad I'm not the only one who was going mad! :)

Would be interesting if someone knew what this was, how to finish this level. It does get destroyed if you drop a rock on one of those 'bird things' when it is in range. But you cannot collect it / move it (as it's in a corner). :(
V-12/Tropyx

Post by V-12/Tropyx »

I can confirm the problem with 1st level of cowboy world.

I bought original Rockford C64 tape and played yesterday. And I really don't know how to beat this cave. There is an invisible item like on picture up posted by Arno. I guess that it should be a snake who would produce missing few diamonds.

But there is another problem - time is running too fast and it will be still hard to finish this cave.

Also I've found another issues:

I'm not able to collect clock item. He is standing like a wall.

I'm not able to finish first cave of 5th world (fire and water) because I'm running out of time.

Anyone can confirm that? It looks like C64 port has bugs and maybe it would be cool to try to fix them?

In the past I made a re-crack of one cracked version of Rockford and added unlimited time option to beat the level with water and fire. I don't remember yet but seems that this crack has "fixed" cave 1 in cowboy world but still there is not possible to collect the clock item.

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=12701
Boulder Dash XII (1999) [own reverse engineering of BDI]
Boulder Dash 2000 (2000)
Fantasy Boulder Dash I (2001)
Zulder Dash (2009)
Power Dash (2012)