Boulder Dash by ZX Games

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Arno
Site Admin

Boulder Dash by ZX Games

Post by Arno »

ZX Games have released a new BD remake called Boulder Dash Episode I: Dig The Past.

I like the graphics of this game, especially the diamonds! :)

This clone is not freeware though. You can download a trial version (first 5 levels available) at the ZX Games homepage.

An old version of this clone is available too. This version has different colors throughout the levels (which Dig The Past doesn't have, except for a few elements like the butterflies).

Image[/img]
Maupin

Post by Maupin »

Tried it, but I didn't really care for it. I like how the boulders roll, but that's about it. I didn't play far enough to see the amoeba. I'm always interested how remakes handle it.

The speed seemed to be really slow.

I'm surprised ZX Games can get away with selling a BD game that includes the name and the exact levels as the original BD. I always thought that FSS was a bit strict about protecting the property.
Creator of Natto-Cat.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Maupin wrote:I'm surprised ZX Games can get away with selling a BD game that includes the name and the exact levels as the original BD. I always thought that FSS was a bit strict about protecting the property.
They probably didn't notice yet.
ZX Games

Post by ZX Games »

Maupin wrote:Tried it, but I didn't really care for it. I like how the boulders roll, but that's about it. I didn't play far enough to see the amoeba. I'm always interested how remakes handle it.

The speed seemed to be really slow.
The user can vary the speed by pressing "+/-", or in the menu (press "Esc"). Three speed levels are available: Slow, Normal (by default) and Fast. Perhaps you should just switch to Fast.
Maupin wrote:I'm surprised ZX Games can get away with selling a BD game that includes the name and the exact levels as the original BD. I always thought that FSS was a bit strict about protecting the property.
Yes, the contacted us and requested to mention them in a copyright notice, etc. We are now working on that. The bottom line is that we will keep working on and distributing our remake with their permission, and the second episode is coming soon.

By the way, we are going to implement different color schemes in the second episode. Be sure to give it a try.
Last edited by ZX Games on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Mikhail Zhilkin
ZX Games
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

ZX Games wrote:Yes, the contacted us and requested to mention them in a copyright notice, etc.
Interessting. Is that all they wanted? No participation in the profit?
ZX Games

Post by ZX Games »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
ZX Games wrote:Yes, the contacted us and requested to mention them in a copyright notice, etc.
Interessting. Is that all they wanted? No participation in the profit?
You're right, they did want a certain royalty. This is what I meant by et cetera. Besides, they also wanted us to implement a few features of the original game our remake was missing, including such as lives, timer, score system... Well, there were reasons we hadn't implemented them and, luckily, we managed to defend our point.
Best regards,
Mikhail Zhilkin
ZX Games
ZX Games

Post by ZX Games »

Arno and Everyone,

If you have played "Boulder Dash. Episode I: Dig The Past", please take the time to submit your review to the game's page at Download.com: http://www.download.com/3000-2099_4-10743897.html

We get many downloads there, so it's important for the product to get reviews (even if not 100% positive).

Thank you.
Best regards,
Mikhail Zhilkin
ZX Games