Videos - Boulder Dash for Experts

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Triple Combi:

youtu.be/ljLK5Bn9q3g
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Boulders & Diamonds 3:

youtu.be/Xe7gjIKdMkw
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Ultra Intermission 5:

youtu.be/TvlSuC_9a8E
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Super Horror Pro Mod:

youtu.be/PFuBgr3FzIU
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Frightful Horror Pro:

youtu.be/ZZAnpiMI77Q
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Sendy 2-16 Endgame Remix:

youtu.be/TU22jxZoPro
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Infra Horror Pro:

youtu.be/lELFAOUjvec
Electronvolt

Post by Electronvolt »

These levels are absolutely incredible, and so are the solutions. I always considered BD to be an action game, that mostly relies on player's dexterity, while Supaplex was a action/puzzle solving game. I see I'm wrong. These levels are difficult for both your brain and your hands. I noticed there tricks that are used frequently, like this one that makes two enemies begin a dance that moves them horizontally in empty space. Or that one that allows you crash an enemy that is just one field away from you.

Supaplex has a vast array of glitches and tricks. They are well defined and there are demos that showcase them.
Can I find somewhere a list of such tricks in Boulder Dash?
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Welcome Electronvolt! :D
There are indeed many tricks in BD. I'm not aware of a list, but the "For Profs" and "For Experts" series should demostrate all/most of them.
But now I get an idea: to try to list them and design a big cave which combines all of them. Not sure if it's possible though... I'll consider it. :)
Electronvolt

Post by Electronvolt »

Arno wrote:Welcome Electronvolt! :D
Hey, thank you! I've sent you a PM, asking about Krissz's email, I want to contact him to register an account on his BD remake website.

I guess his website lacks normal registration because of the fact that the company that owns Boulder Dash brand would send him a Cease and Desist and a takedown request. I saw this happening before with far simpler clone. Good thinking.

I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFmLnTvAwpo
12k caves and 64k demos? Impressive! How many active players are there?
Arno wrote:try to list them [tricks] and design a big cave which combines all of them.
There are Supaplex levels like this. Not for all of the tricks cause many require frame-perfect timing (SP uses 35 frames per second and some tricks do need a 1 frame keypress to work, no margin of error allowed), and probably there are just too many of them to fit inside a 60x24 map, but there are long levels that require extensive knowledge of tricks and very good timing.

It's surprising that no one compiled such list yet. I guess I will make notes when I watch the solutions. :)
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Hi Electronvolt, I've sent you a PM with Krissz his email.

Currently, the community is relatively small. According to Krissz, 20-25 users logged on last month.
The site is nonpublic for legal reasons, but also to prevent too many unexperienced users creating loads of poor quality caves.

By the way, I know about Supaplex, I've played it a bit several years ago, but stopped since I liked BD more and I was also more used to the gameplay and mechanics of BD. :)
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Rocky's Horror Show:

youtu.be/MXp9-gGz970
Electronvolt

Post by Electronvolt »

Arno wrote:Rocky's Horror Show
Nice. I am still waiting for my account to the game. I have a question: is the player expected to figure out how to solve these levels or the solution is given as a demo and this is just an exercise in dexterity and precision? This trick with multiple fire flies exploding does not seem like something one could figure out easily. The amount of synchronisation involved alone is a lot. Or is it a well known trick?
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Hi Electonvolt!

Krissz is still on holiday indeed, but I expect he will return in a week. :)

Each published cave can be played by anyone else in the community. If someone solves the cave, he can choose either to share the demo for other members to watch, or to only show his score on the highscore table without demo. Authors are not required to solve a cave before publication, so it is possible that unsolvable caves are published (this happens few times).

The trick with multiple fireflies crushed above a growing wall is not new. There are several caves based on this idea. This cave is one of the most extreme variants, since it uses 3 fireflies and moves 7 objects (3 boulders, 1 light boulder, 1 diamond, 1 firefly and Rockford) to the other side of the wall. :)