Hiyas :)

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

WauloK

Hiyas :)

Post by WauloK »

Okay I just *had* to register.
Could this be the best game ever made? I can't get enough of it :) hehe

I've had a desire to program a version for a platform for years and have often designed graphics for that platform. For example, when the GBA came out I designed graphics for it but never programmed the game. Mostly because I read what a pain it would be for anyone to get the game on their GBA.

I'm curious though to know what is the lowest spec machine Boulderdash has been successfully ported to and what limits it imposed. I am a fan of an old 8bit machine from the 80s which wasn't as popular as most. I'd like to try and code a version of BD for it, but not sure if it'd cope. It has no sprites or anything.
I was going to code most of it in C and do the cave drawing viewport in Assembly to try and speed things up but at that rate maybe I should do the whole dang thing in Assembly ;) See how motivated I get hehe.

Oh yeah. My Sony Ericsson K800i has a new wallpaper - a screenshot of a level of BDii and my new ringtone is David Filskov's remix of the BD1 theme tune hehe
WauloK

Post by WauloK »

Another question has come to mind.

I read all the collated information about how creatures move with examples of logic shown, but I didn't see any on the cavescan, drawing and interaction part. I know it scans left to right so things would happen in that order, but the demo logic is handy.

If I did port it, due to being a slow Z80 based machine I may have to leave out some features such as animation, maybe some sounds, not sure what else. I also don't know how it'd go scanning the whole of the cave data over and over to make things happen even offscreen. That bit has me a bit worried :-/

PS: It's fun to draw game 'sprites' in four colours ;) Green, Yellow, Blue and Red! I put together a quick Mockup screen last night and it looks not too bad.