New game from FFS: Boulder Dash Rocks!

Everything that doesn't fit into the other forums. Discuss it at Café Rockford. Beer is for free!

Moderator: Admin

CWS

New game from FFS: Boulder Dash Rocks!

Post by CWS »

Have you seen the trailer on boulderdash.com of the new official Boulder Dash game from FFS/10tacle studios for Sony PSP and Nintendo DS? It's called Boulder Dash Rocks!. Graphics are strange but I think this time it could be a nice game (for the first time).

But is it also good without a construction kit? Hmmm.

Look at http://www.boulder-dash.com/boulderdash.htm for a nice little introduction movie.

What do you think?
Maupin

Post by Maupin »

Looks interesting, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of all the new cave elements (by that I mean anything I never saw in the C64 version of BD :wink: ). I especially don't like how boulders seem to float a few turns before dropping.

Still, if I owned a Nintendo DS I might end up buying it...
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Maupin wrote:Looks interesting, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of all the new cave elements (by that I mean anything I never saw in the C64 version of BD :wink: ). I especially don't like how boulders seem to float a few turns before dropping.
It seems that you didn't saw much Boulder Dash on the C64.
In fact, you can push a boulder over spaces to the right with a probability 1 out of 4 (all engines).
In the 1stB engine and later, you even can pick up sweets and push Boulders through the entire cave over any spaces.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:you even can pick up sweets
What do the sweets do, anyway? I never figured that out...
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

RTADash wrote:What do the sweets do, anyway? I never figured that out...
Exactly what I wrote. They make you able to push Boulders with a 100% chance.
This should be obvious after playing my Tutorial Game. If something isn't, please tell, and I'll try to improve it. I already have plans for some tweaks and put a new version to the Crazy Light Tools final version.
Also all the elements will be described in the manual.
Note that you can detect Chasing Boulder when they are still asleep by pushing them, as long as you don't have a sweet. They always can be pushed with a 100% chance.
Maupin

Post by Maupin »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:It seems that you didn't saw much Boulder Dash on the C64.
In fact, you can push a boulder over spaces to the right with a probability 1 out of 4 (all engines).
Of course I know about that. The engine in Natto-Cat also supports pushing boulders over space if you're lucky enough. I'm referring to the boulder hanging in air a few turns before falling for no reason.

Much like a coyote before he realizes he isn't on solid ground.