Gdash

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Dustin

Post by Dustin »

@benjamind2011: Thanks for playing, first of all :) Yes, this is the cave I meant. In the old GDash version it works perfectly well, if you want to play through the game before the bug is fixed by cirix :)
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
benjamind2011

Post by benjamind2011 »

Great game! I had some difficulty on a few caves but was able to get to the 2nd last cave ;)
benjamind2011

Post by benjamind2011 »

Been pretty quiet in here lately.

What's cookin?
cirix

Post by cirix »

benjamind2011 wrote:Been pretty quiet in here lately.

What's cookin?
TBH nothing, I haven't been working on GDash lately...
cirix
CWS

Post by CWS »

Good things will always take some time! :)
Piter

Post by Piter »

I enjoy the newest release of GDash very much. As someone mentioned - TV emulation mode is great, it really makes me feel like time has shifted :) Also new scrolling is brilliant. Really good job!

However, I've encountered some issues with editor. Since my native resolution is 1920x1080 I have to use scaling (x4) to feel comfortable. With scaling enabled, whenever I try to select object to place on board, menu opens but I don't see all items - only few of them. When I switch off scaling everything works just fine. I suspect it may be some kind of incompatibility of graphics card/drivers with GDash. I have ATI 4850.

Maybe someone has encountered this or similar problem and found the solution?
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

@banjamind2011 Thanks for the feedback :) If you have any questions concerning the game (e.g. how to beat the 2nd last cave), feel free to ask them in the "Dustin's Boulder Dash" topic! ("News" section) :)

@piter: I tried it out and for me the same problem occurs. If I use scale x3 only, I see all itmes but they aren't shown on the map when I place them. With scale x2 everything works fine. I think this is a graphic bug (if you close and re-open the editor, you see that the objects are placed where you wanted them, so it seems to be a pure graphic problem).
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
benjamind2011

Post by benjamind2011 »

I've been wondering what's happening on the GDash scene of late. I've been playing some caves, but not doing much editing.

I've got a collection of my own made caves though that I made a while back. I will release them once I have finished creating the entire series (4 games, 80 caves including 16 intermissions).
benjamind2011

Post by benjamind2011 »

Almost feels like this thread has gone dead. I know GDash is still alive, at least on my PC it is - and gets used every night to complete a game - or two if I'm up to it.

How are others getting on with the editor? I find it's pretty stable, and can do most things, but I got an error that I can't really put my finger on since it only happened once or twice when doing different things.

I know the current version is not stable, and I'm wondering if there has been any work done on it in the past couple of months. I'm playing all the games fine, except for a couple (one off the top of my head is that Dustin cave that I couldn't finish).

I'm just a bit scared of the editor crashing on me when I am making my caves. I'm planning on doing a lot of work with cave design soon ;)
cirix

Post by cirix »

hi

well, yes, i haven't been working on gdash lately. i have to much other stuff to do, mainly at work. lot of lectures to give. maybe in the exam period (->december, january) i'll have time to work on the game.
piter: please send me a screenshot of that problem, and i will put it on the todo list.
benjamind2011: if the editor crashes, it helps a lot if you can reproduce it, and send me the steps on how to provoke the crash.

by the way, there will be a small conference at our university, which i helped to organize as the lecturer. students will show their work, the games they have programmed for fun. i will also present some parts of the gdash internals to my students :)

cirix
cirix
Piter

Post by Piter »

Cirix, unfortunately I'm posting here direct URL to screen shot from GDash. It lies in my dropbox folder, so it is safe.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/272 ... editor.jpg

There you can see how does "draw element" sub-window look like with scaling factor x4 in Editor.

Peter[/url]
BadDog73

Post by BadDog73 »

It's been a while since I visited. The new version 4-2013 is impressive in openGL mode. Nice! 8)

I do miss the menus from my old 02-2010 build, especially the cave selection dialog box with preview. Does openGL not support the menu bar, or is it not added? Navigating with only the keyboard is quaint but not ideal.

And if you ever get bored... 2 player game would be very welcome.
benjamind2011

Post by benjamind2011 »

I've never been able to consistently reproduce the editor crashing. It could be memory allocation related - it could be anything really. I haven't done programming for years now.

However, I've also had certain occasions when I've just played a cave set, then went on to load another cave set and it crashed. This wasn't in the editor, but in the game itself as I never brought up the editor. I haven't been able to reproduce that crash, but did notice that it happened after lots of playing on a previous cave set.

Hard to reproduce because they're unpredictable.

I look forward to any further developments on GDash, and hopefully with further development those bugs will be discovered and get fixed.

As it stands, it's still very playable, even if it can be a little unstable. I remember saying that it might be possible for you to work on GDash during December-January. That would be wonderful ;)
cirix

Post by cirix »

piter wrote:Cirix, unfortunately I'm posting here direct URL to screen shot from GDash. It lies in my dropbox folder, so it is safe. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/272 ... editor.jpg There you can see how does "draw element" sub-window look like with scaling factor x4 in Editor.
Thank you, I saved the picture to test later.
BadDog73 wrote:I do miss the menus from my old 02-2010 build, especially the cave selection dialog box with preview. Does openGL not support the menu bar, or is it not added? Navigating with only the keyboard is quaint but not ideal.
Yeah, the menus are gone. It always took too much effort to have two versions of GDash at the same time (gdash.exe: the one with the menus, and sdash.exe: the one with the retro style). So now there is only one, and it must be able to work with all graphics engines (SDL, OpenGL and GTK). So that's a compromise. Maybe I'll do cave previews some time, but I think it will be keyboard-only.
BadDog73 wrote:And if you ever get bored... 2 player game would be very welcome.
With split screen, maybe? Well.
benjamind2011 wrote:However, I've also had certain occasions when I've just played a cave set, then went on to load another cave set and it crashed. This wasn't in the editor, but in the game itself as I never brought up the editor. I haven't been able to reproduce that crash, but did notice that it happened after lots of playing on a previous cave set.
Maybe these will go away with testing and cleanups. The latest version has a lot of new features, but I did very little testing.
cirix
cirix

Post by cirix »

cirix wrote:
piter wrote:Cirix, unfortunately I'm posting here direct URL to screen shot from GDash. It lies in my dropbox folder, so it is safe. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/272 ... editor.jpg There you can see how does "draw element" sub-window look like with scaling factor x4 in Editor.
Thank you, I saved the picture to test later.
This seems to be the problem of the GTK+ Windows port, as it works correctly under Linux. I'm planning to update the version (moving from GTK+ 2.0 to 3.0), maybe that will solve the problem.
cirix