Favourite original game

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

Which original BD game is your favourite?

Boulder Dash I
43%
Boulder Dash II: Rockford's Revenge
43%
Boulder Dash III (in space)
No votes
Boulder Dash construction kit (the caves!)
14%

Total votes: 7

Arno
Site Admin

Favourite original game

Post by Arno »

Nice to see the outcome in contrast with this poll.

In my case there is no surprise. BD1 is my favourite because it builds up the difficulty and the repretoire of solution-strategies so nicely. I have learned the basic techniques of BD mainly by playing this game.

Moreover I love the green light in amoeba caves, more than that color modification in BD2.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I, too, like the first one most. in BD2, you already need some technical knowledge even for L1. However, even at BD1, some caves of L1 are, to my mind, too hard for beginners, namely J and K. In J, I would have set the DR to 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 instead of 12 already at level1. I remember really despairing of this cave when I was a beginner, and when I FINALLY managed to play through this cave, I was so excited to see cave K for the first time ;-)
In cave K, at least at level 1, you should be given more time since you first have to find out where the diamonds are and how to get them.

But generally, it's a wonderful game, even more than BD2, which is also very great!
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I picked BD2 for two reasons:
-I found the caves to be more creative and more exiting when you figured them out.
-The difficulty levels were arranged more smoothly here, level 1 didn't really have any overwhelming spots, while level 5, while appropriately challenging, still didn't have anything I found to be ridiculous.

It's not that I don't like BD1, I think it's a great game - but I think PL did even better with the experience he already had while making the second one.
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Dustin wrote:In J, I would have set the DR to 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 instead of 12 already at level1. I remember really despairing of this cave when I was a beginner, and when I FINALLY managed to play through this cave, I was so excited to see cave K for the first time ;-)
In cave K, at least at level 1, you should be given more time since you first have to find out where the diamonds are and how to get them.
Good remarks about cave J! :) I think the main challenge in this cave is releasing the fireflies from small spaces. This requires good timing/reaction, and sometimes works the best if you snap dirt using the fire button. How to get rid of the flies is already practiced at cave E and F.

About cave K, the nice thing of level 1 is that a hole is blasted in the diagonal wall. This makes the cave a bit easier. But yes, I second the point about the time. Digging a way through the many boulders took me so many time (as a beginner ;)) that I had seconds left to run to the exit!

Also in the J and L caves I run out of time at first. For J this was because I choose as solution to dig a long tunnel for the fireflies.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I also made the "tunnel solution" of cave J at first. In fact, I only got aware of the other strategy (to trap the flies on circular paths when I played through RTAD1, cave O, and read the hint sheet about this cave!
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

BDII gets my vote, the levels were more artful and it introduces my favourites, the slime and the closing wall, even if the latter was used only in one solitary cave!

Strangely back in the day I was better at BDII than I was the original. Go figure :roll:
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Sorry, my fault. The post is in the correct thread now.
Last edited by LogicDeLuxe on Mon May 26, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Hmmm... shouldn't this reply be in another thread?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Arno wrote:Hmmm... shouldn't this reply be in another thread?
Indeed. I must have clicked something wrong, I guess. :D