What to work on after RTAD8 is done?

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

What should I work on after RTAD8 is done?

RTADash 5-level versions (in G-dash)
50%
Continue straight to RTAD9, 10, etc.
50%
Stop creating games, and write more music
No votes

Total votes: 4

RTADash

What to work on after RTAD8 is done?

Post by RTADash »

I'm going to finish RTADash 8 first, but I was wondering what to work on next. I'm personally split between RTAD9 and doing 5-level vesrions of my previous RTADashes, using the amazing G-dash editor.
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

You might use my upcoming engine for the best level experience on the C64 ever.
It will not only combine all CrLi elements with BD1's level feature, you could even set objects per level. For instance, if you find that you need more boulders or an extra wall etc. on a higher level, you can do.
As a feasible construction kit would be too complex for the limited C64, this will be my cross development engine. I will write a BDCFF compiler instead.
Most of the features I intend to have are already in Gdash, except one: per level placement.
CWS

Post by CWS »

CLCK 3.0 is not finished yet and you are about to release a new engine? Wow! I hope it will be available within this decade... ;)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

CWS wrote:CLCK 3.0 is not finished yet and you are about to release a new engine? Wow! I hope it will be available within this decade... ;)
It will be developed pretty much parallel. As those will indeed have much in common, I can keep the same intro editor, titlescreen editor and the same graphics files. The only difference the user will notice is that there will be no construction kit and no cavepacker.
A CLCK Enemydesigner is on the todo list as well, which then will work with both versions.

CLCK 3.0 shouldn't be considered outdated, of course. The new engine is just an alternative to it. If you don't want to consider cross designing, then it still is your best choice.
Similar situation with the Deluxepacker 1.55. I know, some people still prefer this one mainly for compatibility reasons as CrLi does not 100% support PLCK features. I'm hoping to get the new engine a step forward to it, though. But still only of interest for cross designer.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

This engine sounds truly amazing!
I might not take advantage of the per-level feature, just because I'm a little bit rigid on my "5-level style"; but I do see why that's a good option to have.
I'm looking forward to the BDCFF compiler also, it will be extremely handy! :D
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

RTADash wrote:I might not take advantage of the per-level feature
There is no tool supporting this BDCFF feature yet, anyways, thus you would have to edit it in a text editor. I guess, Gdash will have this feature eventually, though.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I love the RTA Dash games and I love the five level idea, so my vote is quite clear :-)
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

2:2
We're not making your choice way easier, I guess... :wink:
Fortunately nobody picked the 3rd option so far, otherwise...... :boxing:
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Maybe I'll do the third one... :rockband: (Just kidding)
Arno wrote:We're not making your choice way easier, I guess... :wink:
Tell me about it. :lol:
Well, I'm leaning toward the second one, while it's tied anyway, because I haven't had many fresh ideas lately...
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Don't hurry, Rory! Haste makes waste- though I think that a hastily made cave by you would still be above average by far.[/quote]
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Dustin wrote:Haste makes waste
Absolutely. But, don't worry, I haven't completed half of RTAD8 yet. :wink: (although this is mostly due to being a high school senior in his last few busy weeks before graduation - which happens to be this sunday :D)
Dustin wrote: though I think that a hastily made cave by you would still be above average by far.
Thanks! I feel honored; the same could probably be said about you, too! :mrgreen:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.