Missing No One's Boulders

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

Arno
Site Admin

Missing No One's Boulders

Post by Arno »

This is one of my favorite classical BD series! :)
However, the following dashes are still missing in my collection (and all other collections I found):

No One's Boulder 1 (original game), 13, 14, 15, 38, 39. And everything after 46 (if there exist any ;))

If anyone has these games:
PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

I remember that I've seen the original No One's Boulder 1 somewhere, but I don't know where it was...
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Dustin wrote:I remember that I've seen the original No One's Boulder 1 somewhere, but I don't know where it was...
At least I know that GB64 has a "No One's Boulder 1" in it's database, but it seems not the original game. It looks like a ripoff from No One's 16 BD game. Besides, that game is released in 1987, while No One 2 is from 1986... :? Is this the one you've seen, Dustin?

Probably the caves (and the title screen) in the original No One 1 are slightly different.

Does anyone know if the missing dashes were ever distributed? If yes, anyone who knows somebody who has these games?
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Maybe it was, but I don't exactly know it anymore.
BTW, don't you have an email address or so from No One? Anything to contact him? Doesn't he have a website or anything? Or has he left the BD scene meanwhile?
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

No One was one of many who left the BD scene over the Emerald Mine scene. He created several games there, too. And also the most important editors. I didn't took a closer look at those, though. If you want, you can find them here: http://www.emeraldmines.net/

Maybe there is some contact info with those, but probably not. I didn't check. Gravenreuth was one of the most feared names back then, thus not giving too much info was a good idea, when you are famous for game hacks.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Since today I have a version of No One's Boulder 1 in the gamebase:
http://www.boulderdash.nl/bdgb/view_game.php?g=noone1
Many thanks to subotai for mailing me this game! :D

Yet, I have some doubts if this is the "real" No One's Booulder 1... The title screen looks a bit like if this game were another ripoff from No One's 16 game BD. This because in both games some other authors (Don Pedro, Dr Watson, Blockheads) are displayed on the title screen. What do you think?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Arno wrote:Yet, I have some doubts if this is the "real" No One's Booulder 1
For good reasons. This really just looks like ripped with some freezer cartridge. Green and red counters weren't there in their early games. And the ugly space graphic with no alternative option, come on. Who would fell for such a cheap attempt?

No One typically had some text mode intro with the standard charset at that time. Sometimes accompanied with some logo sprites. I guess, it won't be hard to recognize the real thing. Just check out their other early games.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

It's clear. I've marked this games as "unreal version" for now.
subotai

Post by subotai »

wrote:Who would fell for such a cheap attempt?
Me :oops: Well, I think this is better than nothing. To be honest, I don't really care if it's a ripoff or not, as long as I can't get the original.

Well, you can also download the "No One's 16 BD game" compilation on Martijn's Boulder Dash Fan Site. Maybe this version is better. You can choose between space and default graphics.
Arno
Site Admin

Re: Missing No One's Boulders

Post by Arno »

12 years later...

I've uploaded some missing No One's Boulder games to the Game Base. It seems that these fill up some of the missing stuff, which would be great of course! I am curious what you think about it? Maybe Logicdeluxe or any BD technician: Do you think these games might be "the real thing" or more probably some extraction or ripoff?

Here are the links to the games and my own thougts so far...

No One's Boulder 01
I found this one by chance in my own collection. I can't remember where I got it from, or why I haven't uploaded it earlier.
But to me it looks very much how I would expect the original No One 1 would look. The caves seem to be those I know from compilation games where No One 1 is part of, and the title screen is in the same style as No One 2 and 3.

No One's Boulder 13
No One's Boulder 14
No One's Boulder 15
Dustin found these on wowroms.com and sent them to me.
On these disk images, No One 14 and 15 come with 2 different versions.
To me, the first version of both looks like original to me. For instance, the layout of the title screen, including his modification to the BD music tune, all matches with how No One made the earlier games from No One 4 to No One 12.
The second version looks different, the title screen says "created with No One Editor 4.0". On the other hand, there more No One games created that way. For example no. 19, 20 and 21 in my BDGB collection look to these second version.

No One 13 above comes with just one version, which looks like the second version of 14 and 15. This makes me doubt whether this version of 13 is "the real thing"...

But again, I'm curious to hear other people's opinion. :)
Marto

Re: Missing No One's Boulders

Post by Marto »

By coincidence I played No One's Boulder 14 today from my Gamebase (GameBase64 v19), then went looking for the cave maps after but found this thread instead.

I downloaded your version of 14 and it looks the same as the one I have.

You can get the Gamebase v19 but there's a full 30000 C64 game database (about 15.5GB) and I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to link here.

Otherwise I could extract just the No One games and upload them somewhere?