Rockford disk 2

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

Paokala

Rockford disk 2

Post by Paokala »

Hi!

Couple of years ago I examined some files in Rockford (PC version), and noticed that alongside with the normal themes: hunter, cook, cowboy,
space and doctor there are five additional themes: scuba, player, music, miner and luck.

from rockford.exe:

Code: Select all

GOLD..  GEMS..
APPLES..  CUPS.. 
COINS.. NOTES..  
SUNS.. CLUBS..
HEARTS..JEWELS..

PTS.Enter world 1-5.(Esc exits): 
.....SPACE.FIL.COOK.FIL.
COWBOY.FIL.BODY.FIL.
LUCK.FIL.HUNTER.FIL
.MINER.FIL.MUSIC.FIL.
PLAYER.FIL.SCUBA.
FIL.SPACE.CAR.COOK.
CAR.COWBOY.CAR.BODY.
CAR.LUCK.CAR.HUNTER.
CAR.MINER.CAR.
MUSIC.CAR.PLAYER.CAR.
SCUBA.CAR.TITLE.FIL.
TITLEANI.FIL.
CELLMAPS.BIN.MENU.FIL
Also, in the file cellmaps.bin there are 20 extra levels, which seem not to appear in the game. They are apparently for the extra themes.

I hex edited the extra levels from cellmaps.bin and their statistics (eg. how much time, how many gold to collect) from rockford.exe:

Theme 1, money to be collected (HEX = DEC)

000D1E			(level 1: (28 = 40)
000D20			(level 2: (28 = 40)
000D22			(level 3: (50 = 80)
000D24			(level 4: (96 = 150)
Unknown theme, perhaps disk 2 theme 1:

000D26			(level 1. (14 = 20)
000D28			(level 2. (41 = 65) 
000D2A			(level 3. (82 = 130)
000D2C			(level 4. (37 = 55)
Level times can be found from 000EFE to 000F4C.

I altered cellmaps.bin and rockford.exe, and now I can play the hidden levels, but I don't have the real graphics sets for them. Those levels are really nice by design, but more difficult than the original 20 levels found in the game.

But, well, in short, my point is. Does anyone know, are these "hidden" levels and graphic sets/themes some add-on to Rockford
(disk 2?), or just an unfinished part of the game? At least, if the rockford.exe is altered to use scuba.car and scuba.fil
instead of space.*, it will ask for disk 2 (and jams, because I don't have one).

I'd love to see some screenshots of these hidden themes, if such things even exist.

Btw. if someone is interested in those levels, I've made a conversion of them for Rocks and Diamonds (using rockford's space theme and original amiga bd graphics) Unfortunately the RnD engine is a bit buggy (monsters may dodge stones some times and so on, which reduces the playability a bit). Also some items, such as 'worms' (like in doctor level1) had to be created as a one tile long monsters, changing enemies into stones and stones into money at touch (or vice versa for "bad worms").
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Very interesting indeed. Never heard of any add-ons for that game. Thus, I guess, there once where plans for an extended game which was dropped later and those are just left overs. I wonder, if those are also present in the Amiga version, which is the original platform (the arcade machine had an Amiga board, afaIk).

Why not convert the entire game, not only the extra levels to R'n'D then? I'd like to have that.
Also having them as BDCFF would be useful for sure. :)
Paokala

Post by Paokala »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Why not convert the entire game, not only the extra levels to R'n'D then? I'd like to have that.
Also having them as BDCFF would be useful for sure. :)
I uploaded a formatted cellmaps.bin to here (in html): http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~asahala/ro ... lmaps.html .. if they are any use for BDCFF:ing.

And yes, I've thought about making a remake of rockford. Althought I haven't had enough time for that, yet. Maybe I'll do it some day.
Chris Neilson

Post by Chris Neilson »

convert cellmaps.bin to unkown image. cellmaps.bin for rockford?
cannot see image cellmaps you can draw cave map all cave from cellmaps.
Boulder Dash Construction Kit
Crazy Light Construction Kit
GDash <> XDC-engine
lourson

Post by lourson »

Can you tell me how do you play the hidden levels ?
I would like to know the modifications you made to the rockford.exe and the cellmaps.bin.

Thanks
subotai

Post by subotai »

lourson wrote:Can you tell me how do you play the hidden levels ?
I would like to know the modifications you made to the rockford.exe and the cellmaps.bin.
Here is a very nice and detailed description to play the hidden caves:
http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~asahala/ro ... _info.html

subotai