New object suggestions for Gdash

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Sendy

Post by Sendy »

Yes, they will stack to form a thin tower.

How about calling them 'loose soil'?
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
cirix

Post by cirix »

And shouldn't a lava absorb a non-falling stone? For example, the cave is designed such a way, that at the start there is a stone lying on the lava. I think it should sink in it.
cirix
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

Definitely, yes.
cirix

Post by cirix »

any ideas for name of werner's enemy? :)
cirix
cirix

Post by cirix »

hi

i uploaded an "alpha" version with the five new elements.
http://biztosan.hu/~cirix/gdash/gdash-2 ... taller.exe

please test it and tell me your opinions

by
cirix
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

Having a look...

I'd call the werner's elements 'flyers' since they don't run along the side of the ground/walls.
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

It's beautiful :D

The only bug I can find is quite minor - if loose soil or dirt ball falls into the lava, it disappears one square before it reaches the liquid - unlike everything else which (correctly) can be seen in the square above before it vanishes.

Another minor thing, the player should be able to walk into the lava and dissolve Rockford, but that's not particularly important (I just think it fits with the humour of BD)

I'm going to have a go at making some levels now.
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

One other thing - enemies should die in the lava too, at least, that's how it is in the game it's from.
cirix

Post by cirix »

Sendy wrote:One other thing - enemies should die in the lava too, at least, that's how it is in the game it's from.
That is, when they walk directly into it, or also when they just hover the lava? For example, a werner's enemy (flyer) is going right, exactly one cell over the lava, should it disappear or not?
The name flyer is very nice, I also have an animated cell taken from one of the Rockford BD series games, which is a big dragonfly. (Maybe it should be called a dragonfly?!)
cirix
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

The enemy in that case would be safe, it would have to turn and move down onto the same square as the lava to be destroyed.

On a slightly unrelated note, I was thinking the other night, wouldn't it be cool if the magic wall, as well as converting boulders and diamonds, could also convert Megaboulders into Nitros and vice versa?

Would it be difficult to have a "Converts Megaboulders into x" and "Converts Nitro packs into y" option underneath the current boulder and diamond settings for Magic Wall?
cirix

Post by cirix »

Sendy wrote:The only bug I can find is quite minor - if loose soil or dirt ball falls into the lava, it disappears one square before it reaches the liquid - unlike everything else which (correctly) can be seen in the square above before it vanishes.
A side effect of the engine, and I have not decided yet what to do.
Slime in the original BD also behaved like this; if a chasing stone moved over it, it could immediately be teleported under the slime; thus the chasing stone travelled two times in a frame, once on its own, and once moved by the slime.
Another fancy side effect is the stacking of replicators:

Code: Select all

<things to replicate>
[][][][][][]  <- replicators
              <- space
              <- space
              <- space
In this case, the "things to replicate" immediately appear on all three lines of space; as when the engine reaches the second line of replicators, there is already the first line of replicated elements.
I think I should do something about these side effects. In a hope that I do not mess with other things :)
cirix
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Two ideas that I've mentioned earlier on this forum:

1. Objects that fall upwards instead of downwards, and also kill rockford, fireflies and butterflies just like ordinary boulders/diamonds.
Maybe also collectable "diamonds" that fall upwards, and an animal exploding into this kind of diamond.

Imagine an "explosion" cave with all these items combined, and objects falling into both directions at the same time! :D

2. Not a new element, but rather an optional feature. Exit opens when you get the last required diamond, but will close again (or Rockford dies) when you get one additional diamonds. Thus, you need exactly the required amount of diamonds.

Perhaps it's nice if the player receives a warning sign after collecting the last diamond. For example, by using a red flash red instead of a white flash?
(A similar effect is already possible using a trick with biters. But I think it's nicer to have it really implemented.)
cirix

Post by cirix »

cirix
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

cirix wrote:http://biztosan.hu/~cirix/gdash/gdash-2 ... taller.exe
just a new version to test
I've tested it in a lot of different setups and it seems flawless, apart from one very minor quirk. Imagine this setup:

space space space O <--- boulder
space space space [ ] <--- replicator
space space space space
<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <--- conveyor left

In this situation the replicated boulders appear down and to the left in relation to the replicator, presumably because the engine has moved them before they're drawn. I don't care that much, but thought I should report it anyway.
cirix

Post by cirix »

Sendy wrote:In this situation the replicated boulders appear down and to the left in relation to the replicator, presumably because the engine has moved them before they're drawn. I don't care that much, but thought I should report it anyway.
Well that is the same side effect. Explained a few words: the replicator creates a new stone under it, and tags it as "already moved this frame, so do not move it again." Then the engine processes the next line, reaches the stone, clears the "don't touch again this frame" tag. Next line comes the conveyor, and sees a plain stone, does not know that it should not move it again.
Clearing that flag takes place during processing. That is why chasing stones sometimes behave like that: they move right one cell, flag is set; next cell is the already-moved chasing stone, so flag is cleared... Next line, the slime, "hmm let's see what is over me? A chasing stone. Ok, I let him pass." Thus the chasing stone moves in an L shape, 1 cell to the right, 2 cells down, only in one frame. (<- The original game.)
If I would not delete the "already moved" flag during the processing, and let the replicator replicate only elements which do not have the "moved" flag...
Well. Maybe we can decide it with thinking about fireflies. For example, what about fireflies wandering over a replicator? They move every frame. Should they be replicated?
cirix