Most played original game

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

Which original BD game have you played mostly?

Boulder Dash I
53%
Boulder Dash II: Rockford's Revenge
47%
Boulder Dash III (in space)
No votes
Boulder Dash construction kit (the caves!)
No votes

Total votes: 15

Arno
Site Admin

Most played original game

Post by Arno »

This massively visited forum needs a poll as well! :wink:

I included the CK too because in the original version 15 sample field were included under the name "Boulder Dash IV".

Give your vote above... and euhh, feel free to comment on your choice!

Of course I'll start. I have played BD1 almost infinitely often. I remember when I played it for the first time I always got stuck at cave C (!), and later at J, L and N. BTW - I was 8 y.o. at that time... but very happy when I managed to complete the whole game (read: level 1) for the first time! :D

After playing BD1 I got the famous package "Boulder Dash 16" by No One with 16 BD games included (but the caves were modified wrt the originals). So I played BD3, 4, ... and later on BD2. Although I was certainly impressed by all these games, it never was the "magic" of the first BD game.
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

I've played BD I and II with equal ferocity, but since I came out a year before II I'm guessing I've played I slightly more.

I and II are still wonderful games to this day, even though I've played them to death. II is my favourite.
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

BD2 is my favorite also, and it's the only one of those that I've played to completion (all 5 levels) so, obviously, I picked that one. :)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Simon

Post by Simon »

I definitely played BD1 a lot more that BD2, mainly because I found BD2 too difficult. Well, I like the simpler caves with lots of boulder and diamonds and not too heavy butterfly or firefly interaction. That dangerous creatures make me nervous. :)
John

Post by John »

BD2 for me. Still got the original cassette! 8)
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

John wrote:BD2 for me. Still got the original cassette! 8)
I've got the original Super Boulderdash (BD1+BD2) disk and a working C64 (even though they're just gathering dust, thanks to WinVICE :oops: ). For some reason BD1 cave M crashes the system a lot - maybe too much going on... :?
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
ravenxau

Post by ravenxau »

Back in the the day (1988), No One's 16 game Boulder Dash was where I came across the game via disk trading - I played those games for three or four years until the C64 got packed away. Not until I recently discovered this site had I even thought about boulder dash - now I am enjoying all the games that are here for download.

Note:- I watched a longplay video of Brain Delicacy yesterday, some of those puzzles are insane!!!.... in a good way :)
Currently Playing:- Boulder Brain

So many caves - so little time. - System:- Frodo emulator on Android Tablet
Marto

Post by Marto »

BD2 - it's arguably easier than BD1 and I could play it all the way through. In BD1 I'd likely get stuck on K3 (those crowded caves get to me!).

I liked the unique aspects of it since the other games I had as a child (BD1, 3, Don Pedro 7,8,9, BD Masters - these were all on the BD1 engine I believe) - different intro music/screen, three-figure diamond counter, expanding wall.

BD2 also contains one of my favourite caves, K, loved leading the fireflies around, clever yet simple cave that one.
Klaxer

Post by Klaxer »

Just voted for original 1st part.
VagonX

Out of all the original games

Post by VagonX »

Boulder Dash 2 was my ultimate favourite, the levels are great, also because back then it was one of the few great games that most often failed to load from cassette and I couldn't play it whenever I wanted(at least for me personally, as well as Pharao's Curse or Cavern of Mars II) :wink:
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Clearly BD1 for me. I'm still playing it more often than BD2, possibly simply because it was the very start of a fantastic series!
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND