Cave Time Question

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

johnomg

Cave Time Question

Post by johnomg »

G'day All :D

Well this is my "100th Post" since joining and I thought I better make it a good one, it will also mean I'm the Last Post on every Forum :D

Screenshots can be purchased from the Front Desk :lol:

To my question:
As I've played more and more BD Games I have noticed something about the Cave Times which makes me wonder....Why???

Some Caves have very Short times and you have to run around like a One Legged Naked Man in a Porcupine Farm to complete them. While other Caves have a Long time, so much so you could complete the Cave go make a coffee get some cake and return before it times out.

I was wondering, do the Creators have a lot of control over the Cave Times or are there only pre-set Times they can use???

Regards
John :D
Currently playing:
- Crazy Dream Dash 01
- Sendy Dash 02
Quote of the Week: I don't mind having a Bad Reputation...as long as I had fun earning it.
RTADash

Re: Cave Time Question

Post by RTADash »

johnomg wrote:I was wondering, do the Creators have a lot of control over the Cave Times or are there only pre-set Times they can use??
The creator can set any time they want to - the maximum amount depends on the game engine, but nothing stops someone from setting 127 or 243 seconds if they so desire. :)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
johnomg

Post by johnomg »

RTADash wrote:The creator can set any time they want to - the maximum amount depends on the game engine, but nothing stops someone from setting 127 or 243 seconds if they so desire. :)
Thanks for the enlightenment RTA :)

I have noticed some Caves are lower/higher though, like RTAD05 Cave02 it's 120 seconds and Cave 03 is 255 seconds, both outside what you specified above, I assume that's the engine difference your refering to???

Anyway, that then begs the question, why are some Cave times considerably longer than they need to be???

Using one of your Games as an example, RTAD05 Cave 03 has a time of 255 seconds, I complete it around the 200 second mark (give or take a bit).

Why so long??? Intentional, Oversight or am I just getting better at this???

I only use your Game as an example because I just completed it and it's fresh in my memory, I have noticed this in other peoples Games as well.

P.S.
Since it just sprung into my mind, RTAD04 Cave 01, I took the 2 Diamonds and went :shock: when I saw where the Exit appeared, very very nice surprise :wink: I loved it :D
Currently playing:
- Crazy Dream Dash 01
- Sendy Dash 02
Quote of the Week: I don't mind having a Bad Reputation...as long as I had fun earning it.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

johnomg wrote:I have noticed some Caves are lower/higher though, like RTAD05 Cave02 it's 120 seconds and Cave 03 is 255 seconds, both outside what you specified above, I assume that's the engine difference your refering to???
Those were just examples to show that you could set it to any value, and not just multiples of 5, 10, etc. Earlier engines BD1, BD2, PLCK, and so on have a cap of 255, but later engines like CrDr can go up to 999.
johnomg wrote:Anyway, that then begs the question, why are some Cave times considerably longer than they need to be???

Using one of your Games as an example, RTAD05 Cave 03 has a time of 255 seconds, I complete it around the 200 second mark (give or take a bit).
One word: Leniency ;) (just to take the pressure off when said pressure is unnecessary) That particular cave is just a fun one - no hurry. :) Also, some timelimits are geared toward the player who's figuring it out for the first time and likely to take much longer than someone who already knows what to do in that cave.
johnomg wrote:P.S.
Since it just sprung into my mind, RTAD04 Cave 01, I took the 2 Diamonds and went :shock: when I saw where the Exit appeared, very very nice surprise :wink: I loved it :D
:D Thanks! I was extra careful to make sure you had to all the way around the cave to unearth it. :twisted:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
johnomg

Post by johnomg »

RTADash wrote:Those were just examples to show that you could set it to any value, and not just multiples of 5, 10, etc. Earlier engines BD1, BD2, PLCK, and so on have a cap of 255, but later engines like CrDr can go up to 999.
Ah my mistake, I took your response too literally :oops:
One word: Leniency ;) ..... some timelimits are geared toward the player who's figuring it out for the first time ....
Fair enough :)
:D Thanks! I was extra careful to make sure you had to all the way around the cave to unearth it. :twisted:
Your Welcome and I can see your turning into a Evil LogicDeLuxe with your games :wink: :lol:

Thanks for the further clarification RTA, appreciated :D
Currently playing:
- Crazy Dream Dash 01
- Sendy Dash 02
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

johnomg wrote:Thanks for the further clarification RTA, appreciated :D
Always glad to help!
johnomg wrote:Your Welcome and I can see your turning into a Evil LogicDeLuxe with your games :wink: :lol:
Some day I may dream to be anywhere near Logic in my proficiency and design. ;)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
johnomg

Post by johnomg »

RTADash wrote:Some day I may dream to be anywhere near Logic in my proficiency and design. ;)
Maaan!!! Could you please adjust your timeframe for morphing into another Logic to 3 years please :wink:

That's how long I figure it will take me to finish the CrDr Series :cry:
Currently playing:
- Crazy Dream Dash 01
- Sendy Dash 02
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

johnomg wrote:Anyway, that then begs the question, why are some Cave times considerably longer than they need to be???
Apparently, the challenge of those caves are concentrated in other aspects than time constrains.
Maybe, you noticed even some caves which are set to 1000 seconds. That's because in PLCK you only can set values between 0 and 255, and 0 underflows to 999 being the only way to have more than 255.
Another reason for slightly long times may be a game made for NTSC and played on PAL which gives you 20% extra (timer is slower), though only a small minority is made for NTSC.
You do play my games on PAL, don't you? They are all designed for it. You may facing problems when playing them on NTSC.
RTADash wrote:Some day I may dream to be anywhere near Logic in my proficiency and design. ;)
Are you talking about the Crazy Dream games, or does this include the games before that? I consider my older games more like experimenting, with many caves which don't play that well. One day, I will make a remixed game with the more interesting caves of those old games put together, probably slightly redesigned in order to have a fair game. Either this or Crazy Dream 10 could be my first XDC powered game.
johnomg

Post by johnomg »

Thanks for the extra information Logic :)

Challenges instead of Time Constraints, I can see that being true as some of your Caves are certainly challenging for me and don't need the added pressure of a short time as well.

I don't think I have seen a 1,000 second Cave, I have certainly seen a 999 second Cave (I can't remember which game though), at the time I thought it was just an error/mistype that had slipped past the Creator but after your explanation I can see it was intentional and why.

As you know I'm still learning and PLCK doesn't mean anything to me at the moment, I assume it's a Design Tool???

Yes I play your games using PAL (it's the standard in Australia). With your games Time isn't so much an issue for me, it's trying to work out what Crazy Dream you had the night before that inspired the Cave :wink:
Currently playing:
- Crazy Dream Dash 01
- Sendy Dash 02
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

johnomg wrote:As you know I'm still learning and PLCK doesn't mean anything to me at the moment, I assume it's a Design Tool???
It's both, a tool and an engine. We have a list of common acronyms here: http://www.boulder-dash.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=107
And for some differences and internals, see my FAQ: http://www.gratissaugen.de/erbsen/BD-Inside-FAQ.html
johnomg

Post by johnomg »

Thanks again Logic :)

I had read the Acronym List here awhile back but skimmed over the ones relating to Techincal Items and didn't look into what they actually are.

Wow!!! That's some FAQ on your Site :shock:

I read through the PLCK section, to be honest the technical side is way and I mean waaaaaaay over my head. However, I have saved the Link and as time permits or I don't know something I now know where to look first :D
Currently playing:
- Crazy Dream Dash 01
- Sendy Dash 02
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Are you talking about the Crazy Dream games, or does this include the games before that?
Mainly the Crazy Dream series, and just your level of knowledge in general. :wink:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
johnomg

Post by johnomg »

RTADash wrote:Mainly the Crazy Dream series...
Cries at the thought of another Series similar to CrDr :cry:
Currently playing:
- Crazy Dream Dash 01
- Sendy Dash 02