Idea for an "Epic" Boulder Dash

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Teafortwo

Idea for an "Epic" Boulder Dash

Post by Teafortwo »

I am a small game developer, and I had this idea for a while, but for various reasons I can't make it.

But here it is, if only to be (constructively) criticized, but I think that it could make a great game :

Rockford : The Origin

The back story is that Rockford is one a race of aliens that send manned probes to various planets where they stay dormant until their home planet come calling for energy and resources. His kin harvest energy of planets by extracting the it's core.

So Rockford wakes up underground to carry his mission to find he can't because something went wrong and he isn't anywhere near the planet's core.

The game would be a mining game. The field would be randomly generated, with scattered diamonds, rocks, etc. Rockford need to mine gems to buy upgrades for himself. Why upgrades? Because Rockford would be stripped of any "super power" he has in the regular game.

For example :
-He would only be able to "dig in one frame" after upgrading whatever he use to dig. Without the upgrades, he would dig slowly.
-A cap on the number of diamonds he can carry (up to unlimited)
-His current ability to walk anywhere in a cave would be replaced by upgradeable climbing gears. Without them, he would only work on hard surface, like any platformer hero.
-etc

So Rockford would start as any other platformer character, but evolve to be the Rockford we all know and love, and who can do things that no other character can, hence "The Origin"

I've seen great maze generators around here, and they could even be used to create "puzzle caves", which would be special 40x22 areas underground that would have an entrance and lead to an upgrade/part of your ship/or whatever. This would help furnish the otherwise empty underground, and make a link between this and the legacy games.

Anyway, I got more ideas around that written down, like a complete story where Rockford start dreaming of a some girl at some point, befriend her only to find out that she is the spirit of the planet he is about to destroy. That he has to choose between saving his home world and saving the planet he landed on, etc, and other game mechanics.
Arno
Site Admin

Re: Idea for an "Epic" Boulder Dash

Post by Arno »

Hi, welcome the forum, and nice ideas!! :D
Now we need someone to program all this stuff... ;)
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Hey, I think these ideas are quite good!!
The problem is only that up to now there is no bd clone which has tools to create such a game (yet)- or is there?
But I think this would be quite worth programming!
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND