94 (count 'em) caves from moi on the way

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

Sendy

Post by Sendy »

Oddly I think 1 and 3 is what I tried first time and it crashed. Maybe it's a bit hit-and-miss. Anyway, go look at the news section :)
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Algorithm 2 is buggy, use only 1 and 3 (simultanously) instead. While both also work alone, the compression is weaker than, ie. resulting in a bigger file size.
If you still get a crash, you probably got the startadress wrong.
Drive emulation shouldn't matter, as all it does is simply reading and writing the files sequentially. (Also works with old PC64)

The Fast Crueler is a more advanced crunsher than the Final Super Compressor. In rare cases (1 out of 100 maybe), it fails, though, thus I still included the Final Super Compressor just in case on CLCK disk as well. It takes roughly 10 minutes for a Boulder Dash, which is quite fast for such a strong cruncher on a c64 while similar crunchers take hours for the same result. In an emulator, this can be sped up, of course.

If you're working an a PC (or any other advanced computer), you also could give Pucrunch a try. It's stronger than anything on a plain C64 and fast like hell with the horsepower of today's systems. It requires a raw file though, as it doesn't work on disk images.
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

Thanks for the advice! That'll make next time much easier. :)
LogicDeLuxe wrote:Algorithm 2 is buggy, use only 1 and 3 (simultanously) instead. While both also work alone, the compression is weaker than, ie. resulting in a bigger file size.
If you still get a crash, you probably got the startadress wrong.
Drive emulation shouldn't matter, as all it does is simply reading and writing the files sequentially. (Also works with old PC64)

The Fast Crueler is a more advanced crunsher than the Final Super Compressor. In rare cases (1 out of 100 maybe), it fails, though, thus I still included the Final Super Compressor just in case on CLCK disk as well. It takes roughly 10 minutes for a Boulder Dash, which is quite fast for such a strong cruncher on a c64 while similar crunchers take hours for the same result. In an emulator, this can be sped up, of course.

If you're working an a PC (or any other advanced computer), you also could give Pucrunch a try. It's stronger than anything on a plain C64 and fast like hell with the horsepower of today's systems. It requires a raw file though, as it doesn't work on disk images.
Watcher Kitty is always watching...