hidden caves

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

cirix

hidden caves

Post by cirix »

hi

the new lost levels iii game has an interesting hidden cave, which i have never seen. to find it, you must "do something stupid".

that gave me the idea to do something like that in gdash as well.
please tell me about your ideas, HOW a hidden cave should be unlocked - in gdash.
if you remember giana sisters, there were holes in the ground with some blue lines, and if you jumped into that holes, you did not die, but you found yourself in a hidden cave with many extra points.

an example for boulder dash: a special piece of dirt, which looks exactly like dirt (but it is in some nonsense location, for example) - if you eat it, you get a bonus, hidden cave unlocked.

other ideas?
cirix
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I think it might be neat if it were achievement based. :)
Some examples:
-by completing a cave within a certain time limit (shorter than the time alotted)
-by finishing a cave with at least a certain amount of diamonds (higher than the amount required)
-by finishing a cave with a certain score (for that cave only / a combination of the first two)
-by finishing a cave the first time through in a particular playing session. (no deaths)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
CWS

Post by CWS »

Great idea! :)

I think the best way is really like in Giana Sisters aka Super Mario Bros - a secret passage. Maybe if you introduce a new object, like the dirt you said, maybe with a name in the editor like "Warp dirt" or something, which exactely looks like the real one, which "warps" you to a level you can only reach with this "Warp dirt".

I think all other ideas cause too many problems in designing caves, etc. But a "Warp" object could do the thing!
cirix

Post by cirix »

RTADash wrote:I think it might be neat if it were achievement based. :)
-by finishing a cave with at least a certain amount of diamonds (higher than the amount required)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7AI94GvcCc :)
cirix
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

Interesting... Expanding on the idea of warping to a cave in a nonlinear order, how about if every exit had it's own destination cave and prerequisites for opening it (number of diamonds, time limit, 'has not died on level' flag, whatever else...). That way not only could there be warps but also an element of exploration.

Think Outrun, where you could choose to go left or right at the end of each level, only the two choices depend on gameplay...
Watcher Kitty is always watching...