Snap the Exit!

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

RTADash

Snap the Exit!

Post by RTADash »

Did anyone know that in any boulderdash game (and most of the clones) that you can snap the exit instead of walking onto it! I discovered it by accident in BDII-M when I was snapping diamonds, and then I hit the wrong direction. :)

This is because the exit turns into a collectible object when it is opened, which is why the graphic disappears as soon as you walk onto it.
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

I knew you could snap the exit, but I didn't know that I was in fact collecting it :lol:
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Strange, isn't it? 8)

I guess that was the easiest way for the programmers to solve the problem of having Rockford occupy the same space as another object. :wink:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Yes, I even have a strange habit sometimes to always exit this way! :lol: Don't know why... maybe the psychology of saving time (which cannot be much)...?

Something else I like to do is entering the exit while hitting a firefly/butterfly at the same time. Then you complete the cave in an explosion! And believe it or not, Rockford enters the next cave alive, without losing a life! :shock:
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Several of my screens are set up this way, like RTAD1 int4.
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Arno wrote:And believe it or not, Rockford enters the next cave alive, without losing a life! :shock:
Unlike real life, you don't lose a live when you are destroyed (which would not work for caves with multiple Rockfords). The life counter is not updated until the cave is disolved. At this point, the engine checks if there was at least one exit "collected". Depending on that, it decides to either reduce the life counter or increase the cave counter (except for intermissions).