disk directory question

Everything that doesn't fit into the other forums. Discuss it at Café Rockford. Beer is for free!

Moderator: Admin

RaVeN72

disk directory question

Post by RaVeN72 »

when viewing directories on C64 disks, many have files such as "----------------" DEL

these files are zero blocks in size - I can see how they are being used to separate groups of files for different games, utilities, etc.....

What I want to know is how do I create one of these files when I am putting a disk together ?

Edit:- A bit of googling has informed me that these files are created by direct disk manipulation and are not the result of a standard disk command.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

I have a tool to put such DEL files. If you mail me I can send it over. :)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

64copy is a way to directly manipulate d64/71/81 files and directories. It can be used in DOSBox, if necessary.

Or if you want to do it on a C64, you can use Disc Wizard. Make sure to validate the disk after extend the directory in this way, as it doesn't allocate the newly linked blocks automatically.

And keep in mind that the type DEL is no real file. The size may be anything. It is not always zero, but that is only in the directory and still don't occupy any disk space, other then the directory entry.
Occasionally, you may encounter other dummy file types. Those are usually linked to the directory track and thus do nothing.
And don't select such files in a file copier, as they likely would ending up wasting space being a real file on the target drive.
RaVeN72

Post by RaVeN72 »

after a bit of messing around I came up with this direct disk command that achieves a similar result:-

open1,8,1,"1"+chr$(20)+"----------------":close1

The command "deletes" the "1" with the chr$(20) when the directory is listed - 14 dashes are then added (one lost due to the delete character and one for the "1" when it is removed)

you can then save the next line of dashes using "2" in place of "1"... and then "3" in place of "2". This allows for what appears to be multiples of the same file being saved.

I am aware that it does waste a block of disk space, but it is just something interesting to add to the discussion

edit:-

even easier

save"---------------1",8

then just increment the 1 to 2 to 3 for as many lines as needed

also easier to delete with a 'scratch' command