No One's Boulder 11 - Caves I and N

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

V-12/Tropyx

No One's Boulder 11 - Caves I and N

Post by V-12/Tropyx »

Okay... I have another Boulder Dash which I cannot play from first to last cave. I cannot finish caves I and N.

I've tried 100 times to finish cave I but I had no luck to kill as much butterflies as possible or no luck to find the exit.

Cave N requres impossible movement. You have to kill firefly on the left but you have no place to hide. If this is possible, it requires extremaly perfect timing.

Anyone finished both caves?
Boulder Dash XII (1999) [own reverse engineering of BDI]
Boulder Dash 2000 (2000)
Fantasy Boulder Dash I (2001)
Zulder Dash (2009)
Power Dash (2012)
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Cave I: exit is at the left side, see map via home page http://www.boulderdash.nl/

Cave N: same story as cave C of No One 9. It is possible, but a little hardcore! :)
V-12/Tropyx

Post by V-12/Tropyx »

Thanx for reply. Seems that there is something that still I have to learn.

By the way, could you update your website and rename "Trophyx" into "Tropyx"?

Never saw screens of my own BD before ;) It's almost 18 years when I created Boulder Dash XII- It was painful work in machine language monitor. IT took me days and hours to make it. Good old memories. Congrats for BDCFF to BMP converter! Great job.
Boulder Dash XII (1999) [own reverse engineering of BDI]
Boulder Dash 2000 (2000)
Fantasy Boulder Dash I (2001)
Zulder Dash (2009)
Power Dash (2012)
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Nice that the maps are still enjoyed, after ten years! :)

And thanks for notifying the typo. I have put this on my "to do" list of updates to the website.
Dustin

Re: No One's Boulder 11 - Caves I and N

Post by Dustin »

Actually I've got big problems with cave I too, it's the first No One's boulder cave I cannot solve.

If I do nothing at first, I easily get the diamonds because the amoeba traps itself, but then there're too many butterflies in the way to the exit.
If I let the butterflies in, then either the amoeba gets destroyed prematurely, or it quickly suffocates, turns into diamonds and there're still too many butterflies in the way.

I don't know what No One expected from the player here. Of course there should theoretically be a way to pass the butterflies to the exit, but usually No One does not make such hardcore caves. On the other hand, I really cannot see a trick which makes the cave easier.

I'm happy to see that a thread had been opened because of this cave - it really seems to be by far hardest in No One 1-12 (I haven't played further yet), with a big distance to all other caves. I guess No One overlooked something and thought the cave would be easier :D
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND