I do Boulder Remake!

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Sendy

I do Boulder Remake!

Post by Sendy »

My BR projects:

1) I'm going to make BR versions of my Dashes, with the intermissions fixed and 10 extra caves in each game, specially designed to take advantage of the special featues of BR! I've already made the extra levels for Sendydash 1 :)

2) Remember I said I wanted to make an old-style game with levels? Well, I thought BR would be the perfect vehicle for this. However, there will be more drastic changes between each level - same titanium wall pattern and same basic puzzle/task per cave, but each time implimented in a trickier way than on the last level. It's quite a fun exercise - one of the finer parts of cave design is balancing difficulty and making an overall difficulty curve that spans many caves.
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Sendy wrote:1) I'm going to make BR versions of my Dashes, with the intermissions fixed and 10 extra caves in each game, specially designed to take advantage of the special features of BR! I've already made the extra levels for Sendydash 1
I'm looking forward to the bonus caves! :)
Sendy wrote:However, there will be more drastic changes between each level - same titanium wall pattern and same basic puzzle/task per cave, but each time implimented in a trickier way than on the last level.
I like that idea! I might try doing the same thing to some of the classic BD games. :wink:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

Sendy wrote:However, there will be more drastic changes between each level - same titanium wall pattern and same basic puzzle/task per cave, but each time implimented in a trickier way than on the last level.
I like that idea! I might try doing the same thing to some of the classic BD games. :wink:[/quote]

Actually, now you point it out, you probably subconsciously influenced my decision. But when I was looking at how the editor works, I thought to myself, "why stick to just moving the boulders and other scattered elements when I could go further?". It is a really good idea.

Though, it still then leaves the desire to one day do a 'genuine old-style' caveset :roll:
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Sendy wrote:Though, it still then leaves the desire to one day do a 'genuine old-style' caveset :roll:
I've given up hope on that because I don't plan on learning German anytime soon. Also, I'm still trying to figure out how to change BD2 L and P to make them more difficult but still have them be possible :x

Any ideas :?:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

RTADash wrote:
Sendy wrote:Though, it still then leaves the desire to one day do a 'genuine old-style' caveset :roll:
I've given up hope on that because I don't plan on learning German anytime soon. Also, I'm still trying to figure out how to change BD2 L and P to make them more difficult but still have them be possible :x

Any ideas :?:
For L, you could try doing a version with the right/bottom 'metro' filled almost completely with boulders so you can't use it. You could do a version with diamonds everywhere instead of mud (I don't know how that would play exactly but it sounds HARD! :)). Or maybe you could make some of the walls magic walls? Those would be my variations, or at least the ones I'd test first.

I'm looking forwards to seeing what you do with O :)

For P, that's a tough one, aside from the obvious making really hard boulder puzzles to get to the diamonds. Maybe you could add an amoeba which you have to create room for so you get lots of diamonds? Maybe adding enemies? Walls?

I hope this helps!
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

In P, I just thought... You could put the diamonds in tiny rooms facing horizontally or upwards amongst the boulders, so you have to get them from a certain direction.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Good ideas! I'll copy those down. In addition to that, I may add a few fireflies here and there in cave L, also. I like fireflies :).

In your game, are all 5 levels of each cave going to have a similar layout, or just the same theme and wall placement? Either way I'm looking forward to it, though. :)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.