RTA Dash games

New game releases, new tools, website updates, ...

Moderator: Admin

Arno
Site Admin

RTA Dash games

Post by Arno »

Rory Agsten recently sent me his new BD creations: the RTA Dash games!

I think these games are very well designed and not too hard to complete! Thanx Rory, great work! :D

Since the games have no definate place on the internet yet, I decided to put them online...

[Last update: 16-03-2008] Download the RTA Dash files below:
- RTA Dash 1
- RTA Dash 2
- RTA Dash 3
- RTA Dash 4
- RTA Dash 5
- RTA Dash 6
- RTA Dash 7

All zipfiles together inlcude:
- The games RTA Dash 1...7
- Solution videos of RTAD 1...7 (use the indicated versions of WinVice)
- Hint sheets for RTAD 1...7 (Word rtf file)
- Credits files for RTAD 1...7 (Word rtf file)

Last edited by Arno on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:42 am, edited 11 times in total.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Hi, it's me, the creator of whom we speak.

Thank you very much for posting my games here!

I signed up under my more general email (where most of the junk mail is sent) because some browsers and URL's seem to have trouble with email adresses containing spaces in them.

Anyway,soon enough, I will send you my finished hint sheets (like in the original manuals), which I started a long time ago, along with an updated credit file, and possibly some videos.

I think that this forum could get more publicity. Maybe a link front and center on the home page, because the one on the left scrollbar is kind of small, and people with a 800x600 resolution have to scroll down to see it, and therefore may never know about it.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Can you guess which cave my avatar was taken from?
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

RTADash wrote:I think that this forum could get more publicity. Maybe a link front and center on the home page, because the one on the left scrollbar is kind of small, and people with a 800x600 resolution have to scroll down to see it, and therefore may never know about it.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Can you guess which cave my avatar was taken from?
Hi, RTADash, welcome to the board! :D

Maybe a bigger link would attract more visitors, and members indeed! I'll see what to do to improve that. Concerning your avatar, I cannot say immediately which cave it was taken from... :oops: But my guess would be one from RTADash 4, because of the colours :wink:
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

RTAD4 is the right game, and the colors are certainly distinctive.
Here's a hint:
It's after the white and brown cave, but before the orange and cyan cave. :lol:
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Okay it's RTAD4 - Cave N (17)!

Keep an eye out for the (possibly) final RTA Dash.

RTAD5 will hopefully be added to the collection by the end of June (or sooner :) )

BTW, as of now, I have the same number of posts as you, Arno. 8)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

RTADash wrote:RTAD5 will hopefully be added to the collection by the end of June (or sooner :) )
Very good news! :D
RTADash wrote:BTW, as of now, I have the same number of posts as you, Arno. 8)
It's good going, this forum! :wink: I think I'll need to post some more Tutorials soon. Well, for the future I'm hoping that the members will actually post more than I do. [Edit] Not spam, of course! :lol:
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

My hint sheets are nearly done and I'll send them by email. (I'll send the RTAD5 one seperately when I finish that game)

I'm having trouble recording a good video for any of the games. It not a software or hardware problem. The problem is myself :cry: ; I either get distracted or am made nervous (don't know why) by the fact that I'm recording a video. Because of this I usually make stupid mistakes and experience multiple deaths.

Do you want to take a shot at making some videos? I'm pretty much hopeless in terms of my own recording skill...
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

RTADash wrote:I'm having trouble recording a good video for any of the games. It not a software or hardware problem. The problem is myself :cry: ; I either get distracted or am made nervous (don't know why) by the fact that I'm recording a video. Because of this I usually make stupid mistakes and experience multiple deaths.

Do you want to take a shot at making some videos? I'm pretty much hopeless in terms of my own recording skill...
Hmmmm, unfortunately for me recording BD videos can be really time consuming. In particular when you are a perfectionist, like me :lol: )
The videos of BD1 and BD2 took multiple evenings to create them.

But I do have some tips that would possibly help, if you really want to make videos of your RTA Dashes:
- Emulator speed. You can reduce the speed of VICE to, for instance, 50% when playing. If you watch your recording, the speed will be the normal 100%. This feature has been very helpful for me to play more relaxed and avoid making mistakes every time.
- Milestones. You can set a recording milestone even while playing a cave. All what's needed is a VERY short moment that Rockford is standing still. It can be so short that watchers of your video wouldn't notice that there was actually a recording milestone.
- Practice. You can practice a cave a few times first, and return to your last milestone each time. After some practice, when you have that (part of the) cave "in your fingers", you can make the final recording, and try it until you're completely satisfied about the performance.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Arno wrote:- Milestones. You can set a recording milestone even while playing a cave. All what's needed is a VERY short moment that Rockford is standing still. It can be so short that watchers of your video wouldn't notice that there was actually a recording milestone.
Good Point! I'll just make a milestone at the start of each cave and it will be no problem!

I'm ready to do this! :sunsmiley:

BTW, my videos won't be so spectacular, but I'm just going for completion, as of now. :)
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

RTADash wrote: I'm ready to do this! :sunsmiley:

BTW, my videos won't be so spectacular, but I'm just going for completion, as of now. :)
Well, the package is updated today and the video's are included. Keep up the good work, RTADash! :thumbsup:

Included is also the hint sheet. Also RTA Dash 1 is updated and the credits file.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

RTAD5 is out! I think it's the best RTADash ever!! :multi:

The package is updated. Now I go playing... thanx RTA, great work!
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Arno wrote:RTAD5 is out! I think it's the best RTADash ever!! :multi:
Thank you very much!!! :D :D

I was a little worried at first because I changed my style a little bit, but I guess I made a good descision.

As a little "designers recap", I'll list my 4 favorite caves and favorite intermission from each game (to complement Arno's list).

RTAD 1 - H, J, L, P, int1
RTAD 2 - E, H, I, N, int4
RTAD 3 - D, J, K, L, int3
RTAD 4 - C, K, M, N, int1
RTAD 5 - D, K, L, P, int3

So, now I'll take my leave (just from desigining, not from the forum! :) ) and I might be back with a 6th, but I don't know, as of now. As the title screen says, I think RTAD5 is a good apotheosis for now.
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

That's the last one?

You can't just... stop, you know! :wink:

Keep making the games or the puppy gets it!
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I don't have a puppy, but you can borrow my neighbor's dogs! :lol:

I might eventually come back and make a RTAD6 if the right inspiration hits me, but for now I've felt the need to take a break to work on something else.

If you're interested, I'm currently arranging a bunch of melodic etudes for solo tuba (but I can transpose them easily for any other instrument). In addition to that I'm working on a variety of pieces for clarinet/piano or tuba/piano.

I'm also putting the finishing touches on my City building, defending, and conquest career for the Roman city building simulation "Caesar III"

BTW, I know most of this post has been off topic, but I want I mention that my tuba has been sitting by the front door lately so it can make a run for it when I approach! :?
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Arno wrote:The package is updated.
I updated the site as well. The BDCFF and maps of RTAD5 are online now!