Gdash

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

subotai

Post by subotai »

Thanks, this works fine. Please keep on supporting sdash, I really like it 8)
cirix wrote:Toggling, unfortunately, no. That would require a major rewrite of my sdl code.
I also use sdl and I know, how complicated it is to implement this. I don't need to toggle the screen mode.
cirix wrote:The C64-bd1 magic wall thing is a quite a little bit tricky
This magicwall bug is also very weird to me. Only aborting the scan when an element passes the magicwall doesn't seem to work always. Sometimes it even seems to behave normal.
For the moment, I implemented it this way: When an element passes the magicwall I set all the following amoebas to the delayed state. This causes a conversion, if no amoeba was able to grow before the scan of this element. Of course, this is not how it works.

But as you wrote, there are things that are more important.
CWS

Post by CWS »

The second issue is not so important. In bd1-games, the magicwall stops the amoeba even if the amoeba is located above the magicwall.

The C64-bd1 magic wall thing is a quite a little bit tricky, as it not only affects the amoeba, but the whole cave timing, drawing and everything. And up to now, I could not understand it exactly (I understand, why it converts amoeba, but the whole thing together with drawing and everything). That's why I did not implement it.
As there is no single cave available that ever used that behavior I would let it be as it is. Or do you think changing this would not cause any problems to existing GDash games?
cirix

Post by cirix »

subotai wrote:For the moment, I implemented it this way: When an element passes the magicwall I set all the following amoebas to the delayed state. This causes a conversion, if no amoeba was able to grow before the scan of this element. Of course, this is not how it works.
!!
This seems to me a very good idea to implement the bug, at least the converting part, not the timing part.
I think I will consider implementing it myself this way, too, in GDash.
CWS wrote:As there is no single cave available that ever used that behavior I would let it be as it is. Or do you think changing this would not cause any problems to existing GDash games?
Maybe some of LogicDeLuxe's caves will work better this way, for the other ones, it is not important.
On the other hand, new games either use the do-not-convert-amoeba-at-all setting, or use the 1stb-like setting - so it is not a problem for them, if I create a new setting especially for BD1-imports. And if it is a problem for any old game, I will just simply convert it to bdcff, and set amoeba conversion parameters by hand.
cirix
subotai

Post by subotai »

Ok, I have to adjust my implementation. I remarked that the conversion takes place in the same scan, not in the next. So it's much easier to implement: When a stone drops into the magicwall, you only have to set the variable that indicates if the amoeba is "enclosed" and have to convert in this scan to "True". All the falling amoebas will be converted.
cirix

Post by cirix »

subotai wrote:When a stone drops into the magicwall, you only have to set the variable that indicates if the amoeba is "enclosed" and have to convert in this scan to "True". All the falling amoebas will be converted.
It seems to me, that this way, amoebas will also be converted, if there are amoebas ABOVE the magic wall in which you have dropped the stone. If there is amoeba above the magic wall, if i'm not mistaken, no conversion takes place at all.
cirix
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I think "above" in this case may mean "before element ___ in the cave scan."
Boulders are round.
Fireflies are square.
I need to find
a'way out of here.
subotai

Post by subotai »

RTADash wrote:I think "above" in this case may mean "before element ___ in the cave scan."
That's the point. I'm sorry, "above" is the wrong expression. In a normal cave scan, you check if a falling diamond or boulder lies on a magic wall and is able to drop into it. If this is possible, you just check if no amoebe was able to grow before the scan of the boulder/diamond (Two possibilties => all amoebas that were scanned before are enclosed or there doesn't exist any amoeba before the scan of the stone) If no amoeba was able to grow, just react as if the growth-check was performed in the previous scan and convert all the following amoebas to diamonds during the same scan, even if they are placed in the same row as the stone and lie above the magic wall. Important is the position of the stone (before it drops into the wall) that is scanned before the amoeba! The amoeba should be converted during the cave scan. I just use a global variable of the type boolean for this. If there has been enclosed amoebas before the scan of the stone that lied on the magic wall, these will just be converted in the next scan.
zsom

Post by zsom »

Hello

I am a big fan for many years Boulderdash.
Gdash is a very good conversion, one of the best that I played.
A few days ago I played in the WinVice Rockford'sRevenge.
Then I started to play the Gdash Rockford'sRevenge.
And here I met an unpleasant surprise.
The Cave 9 "Rocky.cav" can not play, the image moves in the right top of the screen.
In WinVice everything is okay, Gdash why this happens?

Yours
CWS

Post by CWS »

zsom wrote:Hello

I am a big fan for many years Boulderdash.
Gdash is a very good conversion, one of the best that I played.
A few days ago I played in the WinVice Rockford'sRevenge.
Then I started to play the Gdash Rockford'sRevenge.
And here I met an unpleasant surprise.
The Cave 9 "Rocky.cav" can not play, the image moves in the right top of the screen.
In WinVice everything is okay, Gdash why this happens?

Yours
Can you give me the exact file name in GDash of the game you played? I would like to test this, too.
zsom

Post by zsom »

Hi
Thank you for your reply.

Rockford'sRevenge is a game which I found on the Internet, and transformed it any2gdash.
Please, give me your email address, then I will send you to Boulderdash, together with the image.

I also noticed that in Gdash can not play Crazy_Dream Marek_Roth.
Gdash activates not walk diagonally.

My emial: zsom@gery.pl

Yours
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Eventhough, GDash has become pretty accurate, you will likely discover issues with some caves now and then. That's because testing all those converted caves would be a life time job to do.

But keep posting them here. cirix might be able to fix them in future updates.
zsom wrote:I also noticed that in Gdash can not play Crazy_Dream Marek_Roth.
Only Crazy Dream 1 is affected by this. It was my first game with diagonal walking. Unlike 1stB and later engines, this game has it enabled all the time, thus there is no cave parameter involved which any2gdash could easily detect. The converter could be enhanced by looking at the walking code, though.
CWS

Post by CWS »

zsom wrote:Hi
Thank you for your reply.

Rockford'sRevenge is a game which I found on the Internet, and transformed it any2gdash.
Please, give me your email address, then I will send you to Boulderdash, together with the image.

I also noticed that in Gdash can not play Crazy_Dream Marek_Roth.

My emial: zsom@gery.pl

Yours
Just give me the address where you downloaded it - I'll convert it myself. Maybe the conversion was faulty.

Nevertheless "Rockfords Revenge" is none other than Boulder Dash 2. At least it had also that name.
CWS

Post by CWS »

By the way: did someone ever convert the space theme from Boulder Dash III? I know, I know, it was not THAT liked but it would be nice to play Boulder Dash III in GDash with the space theme... :)
zsom

Post by zsom »

I can not insert an image or Rockford'sRevenge game.
But will cut off part of the code to show this problem.

[BDCFF]
Version=0.5
[game]
Name=Rockford'sRevenge
Levels=5

[cave]
Name=ROCKY.CAV
Intermission=false
IntermissionProperties.instantlife=true
IntermissionProperties.rewardlife=false
Size=40 22 0 0 39 21
Colors=Black Black Red LightBlue Yellow Yellow Yellow
DiamondsRequired=60 60 60 60 60
DiamondValue=3 15
CaveTime=218 218 218 218 218
CaveScheduling=plck
PALTiming=true
FrameTime=200 200 200 200 200
CaveDelay=7 7 7 7 7
ActiveGuyIsFirst=false
AmoebaProperties.immediately=false
MagicWallTime=1 1 1 1 1
MagicWallProperties.convertamoeba=false
SlimePermeabilityC64=0 0 0 0 0
BorderProperties.lineshift=true
BorderProperties.objectwraparound=true
BorderProperties.scan=false

[map]
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
w.......d.......d...wPw...rd.....rdr..dw
w.......d...........www..d...drd..r.d..w
w...................w....r...r..d.d..r.w
w...................w..d.r.dr...r.r.d.dw
w..c ........c.....w..r.d....d...d....w
w............. .....wrd...r..r..d.r.d..w
w............. .....w...d..d..d.r......w
w...................wrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.www
w...................wd...............wPw
w...............d...wMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMwww
w..c..d.............wH.....w....w...w.Ww
w.. ................w.....w........w...w
w.. ......... c....w.w.w..w..w..w...w.w
w...................w........w.....w...w
w...................w..w..w.....w......w
w...................ww...ww...w........w
w...................w.......w...w...w..w
w...................w....w.............w
w...................w........w.w....w..w
wP..................wWw...w.......w...Ww
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
[/map]
[/cave]
[/game]
[/BDCFF]

I would like to send someone this game.
It was easier to assess whether or not an error Gdash.

Yes, only crazy dream 1 no diagonal walking. Manual correction and crazy dream 1 works perfectly. Thanks!
cirix

Post by cirix »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:The converter could be enhanced by looking at the walking code, though.
For how much money would you be willing to code that? :) Just think about it.

Anyway, exactly which game and which cave is that? I can have those games in BDCFF instead of binary, and problem is immediately solved... Without any programming or whatever.
cirix