Is it possible to convert C64 format caves to 8bit ATARI?

Everything about the various Boulder Dash tools, and other stuff created by the fans.

Moderator: Admin

B.C.

Is it possible to convert C64 format caves to 8bit ATARI?

Post by B.C. »

Hi there,
I'd like to ask you if there is an easy way (for a person without assembler knowledge) to convert C64 format caves to 8bit ATARI, so that they would be playable on this computer? Thank you in advance.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

I know that someone has converted my Arno Dash series (parltly) from C64 to Atari 8bit. These games are available here:
http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?idx=7
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

I'm not aware of any converter, thus you probably would need to hex edit them in.

In BD1, BD2 and PLCK, the cave formats are basically identical. Merely the timing might be off, and the color format differs. Also all those extensions don't exist on the Atari, and caves relying on the magic wall bug won't work as intended.
For 1stB and up, it isn't possible due to hardware restrictions. (Charsets are too limited for all those extra elements.)
B.C.

Post by B.C. »

Arno wrote:I know that someone has converted my Arno Dash series (parltly) from C64 to Atari 8bit. These games are available here:
http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?idx=7
I know that and I've already completed them :wink: BTW Arno, you make great caves.
LogicDeLuxe wrote:I'm not aware of any converter, thus you probably would need to hex edit them in.

In BD1, BD2 and PLCK, the cave formats are basically identical. Merely the timing might be off, and the color format differs. Also all those extensions don't exist on the Atari, and caves relying on the magic wall bug won't work as intended.
For 1stB and up, it isn't possible due to hardware restrictions. (Charsets are too limited for all those extra elements.)
Unfortunately, as I suspected, it's not easy. Anyway, thanks guys.