Boulder Dash XL

New game releases, new tools, website updates, ...

Moderator: Admin

CWS

Boulder Dash XL

Post by CWS »

There will be a new official Boulder Dash game available very soon (June 2011)!

It looks very promising - at least what I can tell from the official trailer.

http://www.boulder-dash-xl.com/
subotai

Post by subotai »

Looks very nice. And the price seems to be o.k. I hope that it will be possible to import caves.
CWS

Post by CWS »

I already emailed the developers about a level editor. It would be the only think to keep it alive for years like the original product...
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

CWS wrote:I already emailed the developers about a level editor. It would be the only think to keep it alive for years like the original product...
On the other hand, even with the original product, there are many fan games made entirely without the official editor.

Or take a look at Doom, there never even was an official editor released, yet new addons continue appearing almost every day.

Sure, releasing an editor with the product would make things easier. If the cave format is well documented, it would even encourage 3rd party tools.
CWS

Post by CWS »

I really hope that the level data is provided separately in a directoy otherwise it would be difficult to add user levels, wouldn't it? Nevertheless the developers must have some kind of editor to design the levels in the game.

On the other hand there are even fan made games for New Super Mario Bros for the Wii!

So let's hope that the data structure allows that even without an official editor...

But maybe the mighty LogicDeLuxe is able to provide some kind of solution? :)
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

LOL It is probably just me, but I don't think I really like the look (graphics-wise) of this new version :)

cheers,
Paul
subotai

Post by subotai »

paul_nicholls wrote:LOL It is probably just me, but I don't think I really like the look (graphics-wise) of this new version
I don't understand, why they often use robots in sequels. :roll: I don't like that. But the game physics look classic. Well, I don't think, that I need this game, but if it will be as cheap as it's announced, maybe I will buy it ... maybe.
benh57

Post by benh57 »

It's out! I got it on xbox, i must admit. Love to play one of my favorite childhood games on the HDTV.

Still not a fan of the graphics as others have stated.

Not enough puzzle levels, but otherwise enjoying it..
CWS

Post by CWS »

The game is not the best Boulder Dash clone but it's fun.

But there is one very nice thing about the game - the levels (and all other data like graphics, sounds, etc) are kept separately. So it should be able to write a level editor of some kind.

Maybe there is someone here looking into this matter?
CWS

Post by CWS »

I just got the confirmation from the developers of Boulder Dash XL that there is no level editor planed.

So maybe some of the programmers here can look at this matter? As level files are all kept seperately it should be no big problem to write such a tool, shouldn't it?
paul_nicholls

Post by paul_nicholls »

CWS wrote:I just got the confirmation from the developers of Boulder Dash XL that there is no level editor planed.

So maybe some of the programmers here can look at this matter? As level files are all kept seperately it should be no big problem to write such a tool, shouldn't it?
That depends on whether someone can decipher the level data and learn how to recreate it using their own code as a level editor :)

cheers,
Paul