Cave Map Viewer

Everything about the various Boulder Dash tools, and other stuff created by the fans.

Moderator: Admin

subotai

Cave Map Viewer

Post by subotai »

Hello,

I'm working on a program that creates cave maps from the data of a memory dump. It uses the original graphics and color informations that are stored in the memory dump. I was inspired by Arno's BDCFF to map converter.

The program is in an very early stage. So for the moment, it is only possible to open memory dumps. Saving or exporting the cave data is (not yet) supported. The program uses the original graphics and color information from the memory dump to create the pictures of the different caves.

If you want to give it a try, you can get it from here: Cave map viewer (direct link)

The program is standalone (no installation is needed). You can use the emulator of your choice to create the memory dump. I used VICE for my tests. But, it should also work with any other emulator.

support:
- bd1, bd2, plck engine
- dirt mod (all three engines)
- cave selection (all three engines)

todo:
- many things like an export function

I hope that you like it.
Piter

Post by Piter »

Hi!

I've tested your tool with memory dumps made by CCS64 v.3.8. It looks very promising, however, it seems that so far not all games are supported.

I've had no problems with BD1 & BD3, but I had no success with BD2 as the format hadn't been recognized at all. Probably the reason can be that version of BD2 I have isn't original release.

Anyway I like it very much. When you add export option and support for various formats it'll be really powerful tool. By the way, it would be nice to have such tool for Atari memory dumps. There's plenty of nice BD games created and available to download. Have you ever thought about it?

EDIT : You know what, I've just taken a quick look at memory dump from BD1 made on Atari800Win emulator. Although starting offset is different, raw cave data seem to match C64 version. I'll try to analyze it further. :)

Best, Peter
subotai

Post by subotai »

Thanks for your feedback :D
piter wrote:it seems that so far not all games are supported.
No, and unfortunately that's almost(?) impossible. There are so many different versions and hacks of games. But most games should be supported.
piter wrote:By the way, it would be nice to have such tool for Atari memory dumps.
I never worked with an atari memory dump. But, if it's really the same code, it should be possible to implement. The implementation is not really hard if you have the correct offsets.