Problems with smooth movement in my remake.

Everything about the modern clones and remakes.

Moderator: Admin

Elven

Problems with smooth movement in my remake.

Post by Elven »

Hi. I'm making my own Boulder Dash remake in Pico-8 (http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=10211#p10211).

I've added smooth movement animation (the "physics" behind it are regular, scanline updates). In general it works fine, but there are some issues I have no idea how to solve.

The animation works in a way, that after the update, all objects immediately move to their proper new cells, but since I have 5 frames before the next update I use them to show the smooth animation on top of the cells (the objects are actually drawn underneath at their final position, with the animation covering them).

The probem I have is for example with the player dying from enemies. If I touch the enemy from the right or bottom - everything is fine, as the player will explode on the next update (when the enemy will check for player before it moves), so there is time to play the smooth movement animation. But if we touch the enemy from left or top, the explosion will take place in the exact same update, as the enemy will be updated after the player moved to the adjecent cell.

Any ideas how to solve this? From what I've read, there were remakes before that used smooth movement. Anyone knows how they solved the issue?[/url]
zaphod77

Post by zaphod77 »

I don't think any remakes have really solved it.

NES boulder dash has smooth movement for just rockford, and it totally messes with the physics interactions. with both enemies AND boulders.

if you approach from the left or top, you go boom before you are visibly in the square. the enemy explodes in it's square, and it doesn't look like the explosion will hit you, but it does.

And changing the motion to true simultaneous totally messes with the physics.

The only real solution is to make fireflies and butterflies explode on contact with rockford at the END of the scan. but this breaks many physics behaviors that are relied upon to make caves even possible.

It's boulder/diamond animation that there are no issues with it being smooth.