Don Pedro BD5-11

Everything about the old and new Boulder Dash games for C64, Atari, ...

Moderator: Admin

Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Arno wrote:- BD5 int4 could be easiest thinkable cave, if the time was set to 255 instead of 1 second! Or is there another way to make it easier?
I just got an idea about this :D Yes, I actually think it's possible to make an easier cave (with the BD1 engine)! By using two inboxes, one of them surrounded by diamonds and the other surrounded by exits, the cave can then be solved with any combination of two inputs, not "only" by pressing right two times :D
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Dustin wrote:By using two inboxes, one of them surrounded by diamonds and the other surrounded by exits, the cave can then be solved with any combination of two inputs, not "only" by pressing right two times :D
Far too complicated. You can just put open exits and don't need to collect any diamonds at all. And to save some time, replace inbox with Rockford, so you immediately can move him to an exit even before the timer started.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Ah, cool! I thought open outboxes were a GDash invention. I wasn't aware that this is possible with the BD1 engine :D Well, in this case, we should of course place one Rockford and surround it with 4 open outboxes. Then every input immediately wins. The only theoretical possibility for an easier cave would be one where even no input wins (after some time or, ideally, immediately.) For this, we would need an element which can push Rockford (into the open outbox). I'm not sure if there's any fanmade engine which features such an element? :D

An interesting mini project would be the challenge to make the easiest possible cave at Krissz's site, which has the following restrictions which can make it interesting:
- only one inbox (no immediately playable Rockfords)
- no open outboxes, at least one diamond must be required
- only classical elements and effects
A few properties I think the cave should have in any case:
- fastest possible speed (12 FPS) because 2 inputs are definitely necessary, and the quicker the cave runs, the shorter must the player be "concentrated" on pressing keys.
- no possibilities to fail (including infinite time which is possible)
- Hatching time 1 frame because every input which wins the cave with higher hatching time also solves the cave with lower hatching time but not vice versa.
But apart from these side conditions, it's not at all obvious to me what the cave should look like :D
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND