Tools for making standalone games?

Everything about the various Boulder Dash tools, and other stuff created by the fans.

Moderator: Admin

altermaven

Tools for making standalone games?

Post by altermaven »

I know there's a good deal of editors out there including CLCK suite that can be useful for making standalone c64 games, however I've always found using some older methods might be more suited considering some engines implement slower explosions which isn't ideal for my needs.

Is there any packaged solution that might exist? Also, what emulators do people use? Vice in C64 mode won't read my mouse accurately, if at all, when it is captured.
Creativity is chemistry. Alchemystics Design.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Most people don't even notice the slow explosions. What makes you need fast explosions that badly?

For the best PLCK experience standalone game, I suggest using the Deluxe Packer 1.55: http://www.gratissaugen.de/erbsen/dlp155.zip
But you still get most of the annoying quirks of the original Construction Kit, even when using the Effect Kit.

For the BD1 engine, there is Boulder Dash+ by Apollo 8502, which includes an editor. This is not really standalone, though, and I never used it.

For the BD2 engine, probably not. There is an editor around, but nobody seems to be able to get it running. Maybe, it need some lost crack, or it is just broken.
altermaven

Post by altermaven »

This is simply due to the fact of just having the normal experience in general. I'll take a look at what is provided. Do not be mistaken however, your tool is quite solid. It is that most of what I wish to port, in terms of accuracy and general faithfulness, would lean on BD1 or BDCK as a base.
Creativity is chemistry. Alchemystics Design.