False beliefs?

Everything that doesn't fit into the other forums. Discuss it at Café Rockford. Beer is for free!

Moderator: Admin

Sendy

False beliefs?

Post by Sendy »

One thing I remember when I first played BD is that I had this suspicion that amoeba was more likely to grow into empty space than dirt, which eventually I learned was completely and utterly wrong.

Did anyone else have any false beliefs about BD?
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
LogicDeLuxe

Re: False beliefs?

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

It took me quite a while to realize that you get a bonus life when entering an intermission. I initially assumed it would be rewarded when solved. Apparently Prof. Knibble did too and even changed it in 1stB.
Sendy wrote:One thing I remember when I first played BD is that I had this suspicion that amoeba was more likely to grow into empty space than dirt, which eventually I learned was completely and utterly wrong.
I was curious about this too. I compared those situations and quickly came to the conclusion that it doesn't make a difference.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Sendy wrote:Did anyone else have any false beliefs about BD?
That the amoeba animation-bug in BD3 was an intended feature! :lol:
cirix

beliefs

Post by cirix »

I used to believe that pushing a stone with the fire button pressed is faster than doing it without. So when I was in a hurry, I always tried to press and release the fire button to make things faster.

I also believed that a boulder falling on another one is randomly rolling in a direction - but now I know that it always tries to roll left first.
cirix
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Sendy wrote:One thing I remember when I first played BD is that I had this suspicion that amoeba was more likely to grow into empty space than dirt, which eventually I learned was completely and utterly wrong.
It doesn't?????????????? And I thought I knew nearly everything about this game... You live and learn! :-)
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
subotai

Post by subotai »

I thought that enclosed parts of the amoeba converted to diamonds separately. I didn't knew that all amoebas in a cave have to be enclosed. I even implemented this feature in my Remake but droped it later.

I thought Bd1 was a Remake of the game Rockford for PC ;-)

Besides, the game Rockford was the first comuter game I ever played.
Mr Escape

Post by Mr Escape »

When I was younger I used to think that fireflies and butterflies would only follow and chase you round the cave, not realising how they actually move.
Arno wrote:That the amoeba animation-bug in BD3 was an intended feature!
Did you mean when the amoeba froze? I used to think that too. In fact, I thought the brown amoeba when it was frozen were meant to be blocks of chocolate! :lol:
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Hi Mr Escape, and welcome!
Mr Escape wrote:Did you mean when the amoeba froze? I used to think that too. In fact, I thought the brown amoeba when it was frozen were meant to be blocks of chocolate! :lol:
I mean indeed that the amoeba is not animated in several caves of BD3.
Brown amoeba, hmmm... I don't remember this appears in BD3. Perhaps you have seen this in a different game, where the BD2 dirt mod is applied?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Arno wrote:I don't remember this appears in BD3.
Yet it is right there:
Btw., the entire BD3 graphic makes me think of eye cancer rather then chocolate. BD1 is so much easier on the eye.

Some of the early fan made games did have this bug too, but non of them used the BD3 graphics, iIrc..

Concerning false beliefs: As I've seen the bootleg before the official version, I thought, the BD1 graphics in BD3 was the intended appearance.
Mr Escape

Post by Mr Escape »

Thanks for the welcome Arno. :)

And yes, that's the cave I was talking about LogicDeluxe, cave K. I agree the BD3 graphics are pretty bad, it would've been better to leave them like the original in my oppinion.
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Space graphics are ugly :D
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND