A little quiz ;-)

Everything that doesn't fit into the other forums. Discuss it at Café Rockford. Beer is for free!

Moderator: Admin

Dustin

Post by Dustin »

puhh... no idea... Can you give me /us a little hint? Is it one of yours? Or one of your family?
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Dustin wrote:puhh... no idea... Can you give me /us a little hint? Is it one of yours? Or one of your family?
It has caves from many authors. No caves from me. Some caves from Rolf Roth are there.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Another hint: Prof. Knibble coded some engine modifications exclusively for this release.
shaneandriu

Post by shaneandriu »

Is that related to the phenomenon when an amoeba is closed at the beginning of a cave, it is quiet, but when you open it, it starts to Brawn? This is what you see very often in games PLCK. Interesting behavior, which may be one reason why it has apparently not been used..
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

shaneandriu wrote:Is that related to the phenomenon when an amoeba is closed at the beginning of a cave
No.
This behavior was already present in the BD1 engine, but somewhat buggy. Apparently they fixed it in the BD2 engine, although the original caves don't make use of this feature.
Mr Escape

Post by Mr Escape »

Sorry for reviving an old topic, but I felt like having a guess at this last question. Of course I had to do a bit of research first...

Since a clue said that it was programmed by Prof Knibble, I checked your website, LogicDeluxe, and downloaded the games there in the Prof. Knibble zip folder. Next I checked the disc contents in my C64 emulator, uses more than 1 disc, my guess is a game called Marathon Dash.

I'm not 100% sure, but you never know. :wink:
Testing and fixing up some caves for some releases, coming soon for real this time!
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Marathon Dash it is, of course. Did nobody ever played it? I can't believe, it wasn't answered before.

Your turn, Mr Escape.
Mr Escape

Post by Mr Escape »

Wow, i'm surprised I got that one. Hurray for researching, I guess! :D

I must admit, I haven't played Marathon Dash properly before, i've only had a quick try it a while back.

I can't think of a good question to ask right now. I'll have a think, and try and post one by tomorrow (fingers crossed).
Testing and fixing up some caves for some releases, coming soon for real this time!
Mr Escape

Post by Mr Escape »

Okay, I got one. Hope it's not too tough (or easy for that matter.). :)

When playing a standard cave in the PLCK game engine, is there a way to survive, after a rockford doll has been destroyed? If so, can you describe how this can happen?
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

This is indeed possible, if you destroy a Rockford doll by an explosion. This won't case Rockford to be killed, unless the doll itself has touched the firefly or butterfly.

Arno Dash 11 contains an intermission in which this effect must be used in order to complete it:
Mr Escape

Post by Mr Escape »

Yep, that's right Arno! Your cave shows what I was exactly thinking of.

It's your turn to ask a question.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

OK, here is a classic problem.

Suppose that in this PLCK intermission, exactly one of the 3 "doors" is a hidden exit, and the other two are just titanium walls. Rockford has no idea which one is the exit.

After pondering for a while, Rockford picks the first door as his first guess, and he moves towards this door at the most left side. Now the creater of the cave decides to help Rockford a little bit by mentioning a different door being a wrong one. So he tells Rockford that the middle door is a "fake" exit.
Now given this new information, what should Rockford do to maximize his probability to exit succesfully, without losing a life?
1. Stay at his first guess and pick the left door.
2. Change his mind and go for the door at the right.
3. It doesn't matter.

Note that the explanation counts, rather than the answer! ;)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Is this a trick question? It depends on how you define "exit succesfully, without losing a life"
If "without losing a life" is what matters, the answer is 3, because you can't even loose a life in an intermission, no matter what you do.
On the other hand, if by "succesfully" you mean, Rockford actually has to reach the exit, the laws of probability dictate to try the door at the right, since excluding the middle door makes this a 50:50 chance, rather than the one 3rd chance of the initial guess.
Mr Escape

Post by Mr Escape »

I'm going to guess it's 3. The reason being that the creator of the cave may be lying about the middle exit being "fake". The left exit has been eliminated sa fake, therefore Rockford should just take a guess at either the middle or right-hand exit.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Mr Escape wrote:The reason being that the creator of the cave may be lying about the middle exit being "fake".
The creator is not lying. He decided to mention to Rockford a fake door out of the 2 remaining doors (which Rockford did not initially guess). So the left door is not excluded, only the middle one.
LogicDeLuxe wrote:Is this a trick question? It depends on how you define "exit succesfully, without losing a life"
I mean that Rockford reaches the exit. A more accurate description would be "exit succesfully, without being trapped".
LogicDeLuxe wrote:the laws of probability dictate to try the door at the right, since excluding the middle door makes this a 50:50 chance, rather than the one 3rd chance of the initial guess.
Yes, the answer is correct! The headline of the explanation also, except for the probabilities 50:50. In fact, the creator gives extra information on the middle+right door only. So the probability of the left door stays 1/3, as you already noticed. But then the probability of the right door becomes 2/3 since this door is now the only possible out of the two doors (middle+right). Also, the sum of probabilities is 1 as expected.

Anyway, since I didn't ask for the probabilities, I approve this explanation. So it's your turn!