G'day from Downunder

Everything that doesn't fit into the other forums. Discuss it at Café Rockford. Beer is for free!

Moderator: Admin

johnomg

G'day from Downunder

Post by johnomg »

G'day All :D

Recently I re-discovered Boulder Dash (after more years than I care to remember). It's brought back a lot of memories, frustration and sleepless nights (much to the wifes disgust).

I came across this Fan Site and thought I would introduce myself. Thanks to Arno for creating/maintaining it and the knowledgable members who have been posting here.

With hindsight, my one regret is that about 2 years ago I gave my C64 and Amiga 500 along with all the games to a friends children. Now that I know Emulators exist and games can be put on a modern computer I'm seriously thinking of asking for them back :wink:

Anyway, I have finished all the caves in BD1 and BD2, don't even ask how long it took me :oops:

Currently I'm working my way through BD3, hopefully I won't go completely bald before I'm done :(

I have a few question already, some of them just general things about the game and some a bit more specific, I'll save them for another day and look forward to the responses/help I receive from other Fans of Boulder Dash.

Regards
John :D
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

Welcome!

I couldn't quite deduce from your post, if you're able to play BD in the here and now. There are plenty of options these days and there's never been a better time to be a BD fan ;)

Did you ever make caves with the construction kit? I wish I could find my old disks with all my old caves made in the 80's on it, I could do with a laugh. :P
Watcher Kitty is always watching...
BadDog73

Post by BadDog73 »

Welcome,

It's a small community of Boulderdash fans we have here, but we have the best of them... :lol:

-Ben
johnomg

Post by johnomg »

G'day Sendy and BadDog73, Thank You for the Welcome :D

Sorry for the confusion :oops:

Currently (in the here and now) I am playing the Original (?) 1980's Boulder Dash series from First Star. I have finished BD 1/2 and struggling through BD 3.

Reliving my youth you might say :wink:

I see there are a wealth of Fan made BD Games, for now I would like to finish the Original series before I try them, however I did give "Arno Dash 01" a try last night and liked it.

I've never attempted to make my own Caves, not sure if I even had the Construction Kit back in the 1980's. For now I'm just enjoying playing BD as I did in the past.

My other passion back in the 1980's were the Text based Adventure Games, the ones where you had a Static Graphic at the top and typed instructions below like: "look up", "go north" and "get object". You had to use your imagination a lot but I like the puzzle aspect of them.

Regards
John :D
Sendy

Post by Sendy »

If you like puzzles, you'll like a lot of the fan-made boulderdash games.

I had no idea so many different puzzles were possible in BD until I started playing other people's games and making my own in 2004.
Watcher Kitty is always watching...