Dustin's Boulder Dash

New game releases, new tools, website updates, ...

Moderator: Admin

Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

Dustin's BD8 - Arno Remix has just been released! :D

Download it here:

http://www.boulderdash.nl/bdgb/view_gam ... =dustinbd8
CWS

Post by CWS »

Great! :)
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Thanks! ;D
Boulder Dash X Rock, Paper, Scissors:
ROCKFORD collects DIAMOND, digs DIRT
DIAMOND outvalues DIRT & BOULDER
DIRT carries BOULDER, blocks FIREFLY
BOULDER kills FIREFLY & ROCKFORD
FIREFLY kills ROCKFORD, guards DIAMOND
CWS

Post by CWS »

Still hope that GDash gets updated some time. But cirix mentioned to me that he has no spare time for that project... :(
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Yeah, that's a pity, but I fell in love even with the current, unstable version... :D
CWS

Post by CWS »

As you are using GDash a lot - did you notice any problems? Would be interesting how stable it really is...
Dustin

How stable is GDash?

Post by Dustin »

I'm using Windows 10 and beside the latest version of GDash, I also have an older version still installed on my laptop because I like the cave editor of the old version clearly better. So the few problems I had over the last years may be mixed between the older and the latest version...

Problems:
--> There's a bug concerning the replays. If, for example, I record a cave replay on level 3, the BD file thinks that the recording was made on level 2 {or 4, the wrong one in any case}.
--> Sometimes there occurs a problem with the element "No element" in the editor. For example, I designed Dustin's BD 3, cave H, based on the "no element" feature, and on some GDash versions, this cave looks completely different {and is unfortunately unsolvable}.
--> With the "shift" key used during pplaying a cave, the bar where the diamonds, time and points are shown changes to showing the number of keys you collected etc. It occured several times that I pressed shift and then Rockford couldn't change his moving direction anymore until I closed GDash completely. This may also well be a bug of my old keyboard, though.
--> One of the versions slows down drastically when there are too many moving BD elements at the same time on the screen.
--> In the editor, I switched off the "animated view" because with too many animated elements in the same cave, the editor tended to slow down too much. No problems without the animated view, though.

Apart from these small problems, everything works very fine for me!
CWS

Post by CWS »

Interesting!

Maybe you should mail this to cirix directly - then I’m not the only one writing him. Maybe, if there a enough people reporting bugs, he will eventually continue developing...
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

Thx for your suggestion!
I put it on my Boulder-Dash-to-do-list. But before I mail Czirkos, I'd first check out which errors really occured in the most actual GDash version in order not to confuse him. As that's not such a funny thing to do, I'll pprobably take some weeks/months before doing it. After all, the latest GDash version is already a few years old, so some weeks won't make a huge difference anyway ;D
CWS

Post by CWS »

You are totally right.

It’s really funny to see work on other remakes, there are fixes and updates for this one for quite a while - even when you think this must be error free and perfect so many bugs have been found again... ;)

https://www.quarkrobot.com/
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

@CWS yes, programming is surely not an easy job... :D The more we should appreciate all the modern work on BD clones!

@all During the last weeks, I worked a lot on new releases and made big progress, so that I have no less than three announcements for the near/middle future:

1. Dustin's BD12 - Retro Remix will be my next classical 5L release. This is a special edition similar to DBD8 - Arno Remix. It features remakes of caves from a certain famous Boulder Dasher with working 5L versions. I still like the 5-level-idea a lot because it's fun for casual players as well as (hopefully) challenging for the world's best!
State: almost finished/ final testings

2. Dustin's BD13 again has my own new caves, the subtitle of this game will be something like "Roots and Research", which might tell you something about the kind of caves in the game ;D
State: almost finished/ final testings

3. BD2 challenges - the sequel of the BD1 challenges released last year, with more unusual challenges for the caves of Peter Liepa's BD2 caves!

In fact, I'm planning three more releases at the moment, but those are still in progress!
Dustin

Post by Dustin »

It's already time to become more concrete and announce...
Dustin's BD 12 - Don Pedro Remix!

In my opinion, Don Pedro's seven games, which were among the first BD fan games that were ever made, contain quite a few interesting, great new ideas ("new" for the time that they were made, of course), some of which I would call real masterpieces for that time!

Unfortunately, on the other hand I think that about 2/3 of his caves are nothing special, average or even annoying/boring. Also, Don Pedro didn't really care about the 5 levels - as he said himself in the forum about ten years ago - so some of his caves are even unsolvable on the higher levels or the levels don't have any significant differences.

So the idea arose in me to pick out his very best caves and make working five level versions out of them, which would fit perfectly into the Dustin's BD series! I thought this would be a nice tribute and, at the same time, I then would have a Don Pedro game where I would like and enjoy every cave a lot!

By now, the game is as good as done and will come out very soon, probably still in March! My biggest problem is a luxurious one - I have 17 caves and can't decide which one to kick out! :D

For those who seek difficult challanges, I think level 5 features some more or less insane speedruns, tricky all-diamond runs and very-many-diamonds-runs and puzzling random seeds which might even look unsolvable at first sight! On the other hand, those who like to rather chill out and just play BD might like the lower levels, which are far less extreme.

That's why I still like the classical five-level idea so much - it's something for casual players as well as for BD experts!

Here are the cave names as a little appertizer:
A - Intro
B - Stair Star
C - Blocker
D - Hiscore Box
E - Flower Tower
F - Hostile Hosts
G - How many am I?
H - Good Wall Hunting 2
I - Coordinate System
J - Once In A Million
K - Haunted Castle