best way how to start? (noob question)

Everything about the various Boulder Dash tools, and other stuff created by the fans.

Moderator: Admin

netoper

best way how to start? (noob question)

Post by netoper »

hello.
i have taste to create new graphics and some new levels.
how is the best way to start? what i need? which editor for create custom graphics?

thanks.
Arno
Site Admin

Re: best way how to start? (noob question)

Post by Arno »

netoper wrote:how is the best way to start? what i need? which editor for create custom graphics?
Welcome netoper! :)

I'd suggest you check out the Crazy Light tools:
http://www.gratissaugen.de/erbsen/plans.html

This is the most extensive tooling to create standalone Boulder Dash games for the C64, including custom graphics.
netoper

Post by netoper »

thank you :)

yes i have this tool. very nice. good job.

but is here something which is without any modifications closest to original? i can not find these utility. i need original titles too. i do not need keys, bombs and any others titles which is not in original game.
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

The Crazy Light Tools has everything that the original has. Including all original items. And a tool to change the graphics of the items.
Keys, bombs, all other items, settings and effects are "additional". You don't need to use those.

But perhaps you could try the original Construction Kit with Deluxe Packer. These tools only support the original items. And it includes an editor to change the item graphics.
It is available in TOOLS.ZIP.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Arno wrote:But perhaps you could try the original Construction Kit with Deluxe Packer. These tools only support the original items. And it includes an editor to change the item graphics.
It is available in TOOLS.ZIP.
If you want a title screen close to the original, though, ie. with big letters. Deluxe Packer doesn't have them, but the Crazy Light Tools do.
If you only want classic elements, you can even configure the Crazy Light Construction Kit to only offer those and hide any advanced features.
netoper

Post by netoper »

thank you all, but this is hard for me :( i created my graphics, but i have no idea what to do next with that. its shame :(

crazy light is fine, but he changes a lot of things in game. the upper score row is different.. is somewhere detailed instructions or video how can the whole process be done? custom graphics, custom charset, custom levels, title screen.. all from A to Z. most software from your disks @Arno in tools.zip are in german language and i do not know how i can/must use it.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

On the Crazy Light Tools disk, run "preferences 3.0" or click on "configure editors" in the loader menu.
If it says "Sprache:de", click on it to change it to "Language:en", which should be already the case when you downloaded it from my homepage.
If you only want classic elements, you want to set "User skill:novice". Then click on "Save this setup". All editors should be English now.

Right after the download link on my homepage: http://www.gratissaugen.de/erbsen/plans.html
There is a tutorial video on how to use the Construction Kit and create a standalone game afterwards.

For designing graphics for this engine, you need to use the Enemydesigner 3.0, which is also present on the Crazy Light Tools disk. The original No One version is not Crazy Light compatible. If the Crazy Light version is stuck with a cursor at the file name, it means that the file you tried to load is not compatible. Unfortunately, there is no graphics converter between these versions. If you want to do it manually, check out the RAM layout in my Dash FAQ: http://www.gratissaugen.de/erbsen/BD-Inside-FAQ.html

In case you're using JiffyDOS, be aware that my directory routine does not work with it. My JiffyDOS mod for Dolphin DOS is also affected by this. This is something on my todo list. Eventhough it is JiffyDOS's fault, I intent to make my editors usable with it, as it became pretty much the de facto standard for c64 mass storage file transfer.

The status bar works pretty much the same as in earlier engines. Except you can give your cave name up to 14 chars, and some values got an extra digit for more flexibility.

If you want to use the older PLCK engine, you would probably use Deluxe Packer 1.51: http://www.gratissaugen.de/erbsen/dlp151.zip
It is completely in English and has a manual (the English one is on the disk). You can use your graphics set and you can change your text char set, but you can't design a big title screen with big letters with it. You have always a top ten list on it and only a few lines to design your title on.
netoper

Post by netoper »

thank for your time and exhaustive answer. i try your crazy light tool which looks really better. now i must redraw graphics :)

ouch. the animation speed is much fast.

LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

The animation speed in 3.0 was fixed to be previewed the way the game does it.
2.3 did not display it like in the game. It was quite a bit too slow.

Explosion sequences and blinking in/out boxes are the exception, as they are actually separate elements progressing with each cave scan and thus have no fixed animation speed.
netoper

Post by netoper »

ok. now i have dilemma.. i have some diamonds animations. which one is the best for use? i can not decide.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Arno
Site Admin

Post by Arno »

I have to say, normally I stick to the original graphics, but yours are surprisingly nice! :)

I would prefer diamond animations 5 and 9 (numbered from left to right, from top to bottom). I like 6 too, but perhaps it has, like most of the others, too much flickering for the eyes.

Is the blinking round object a firefly? I liked the firefly in your first screenshots better!

Perhaps, if you create more than one game, you could vary your graphics, because I think your designs are really good!
netoper

Post by netoper »

thank you :) i'm glad you like it ;)

yes, the flashing is the problem. in situation where is more diamonds on screen there is very strong flashing. it's also because of the speed of animation.

i understood. every boulder dash lover simply still prefers original graphics ;)

your choice 5 & 9. hmm. is more closest to the original what i understand. my favourite is (adjusted) 10.

i just want to make the game little different, nicer, modern. preview here: https://youtu.be/WsXJp50Zvd4

yes, the flashing circle object is firefly. but yes, you have true. i'm still working on it and still looking for best looking variations.

work name: boulder dash - rebirth ;)

EDIT:
modified firefly based on original:

LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Those look really nice indeed. The objects are easy to distinguish, which is a very good thing.
netoper

Post by netoper »

titanium wall improvement
amoeba improvement
and new rockford animations!

CWS

Post by CWS »

For the last 3 decades I was always using the original graphics set but I have to admit that I like your set!

Only the walls should be without this dirty corner. Looking weird.